Taneytown * Union Bridge * New Windsor * Uniontown

NORTHWEST --

July 21, 1993

Fire damages house near New Windsor

A cigarette left burning on a bedroom dresser caused a fire at a two-story home in the 1700 block of Greenwood Church Road outside New Windsor early Monday evening, the deputy chief state fire marshal said yesterday.

The cigarette ignited papers on the dresser, and the papers burned for 20 to 30 minutes before members of the John James family smelled smoke, Fire Marshal Bob Thomas said.

Smoke detectors in the home went off shortly after the family discovered the fire at about 5:30 p.m., he said.

Five people were home at the time, but no one was hurt, Mr. Thomas said.

The fire was ruled to be accidental, he said.

The blaze caused $10,000 to $15,000 in damage to the house, but the family was able to stay there that night, he said. Most of the fire damage was in a second-floor bedroom. The rest of the house received some smoke damage, he said.

Firefighters from New Windsor, Union Bridge and Winfield were at the brick rancher until about 7:15 p.m., New Windsor Assistant Chief Ronnie Blacksten said.

FIRE

* New Windsor: New Windsor responded to a brush fire on Main Street at 8:28 p.m. Monday. Units were out for 29 minutes.

New Windsor, Union Bridge and Winfield responded to a house fire on Greenwood Church Road at 5:32 p.m. Monday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.