Monk accepts 1-year contract for $1.1 million

July 16, 1993|By Vito Stellino | Vito Stellino,Staff Writer

Wide receiver Art Monk finally had to concede yesterday that he had run out of options.

Monk, the 35-year-old wide receiver who was upset after the Washington Redskins demoted him and refused to offer him a salary increase, signed a one-year deal for the same $1.1 million he made last year.

The Redskins tossed in a hefty incentive package if he plays a lot, but they've told him that Ricky Sanders, Desmond Howard and Tim McGee will start camp ahead of him. He caught 46 passes last year and didn't get an offer from any other team even though he was a free agent.

General manager Charley Casserly tried to smooth things over by saluting Monk after the signing. "He's had a great career for us and we're looking forward to having him this year," Casserly said.

Casserly also stressed that there's always a chance Monk's status could change.

Monk's signing means that running back Ricky Ervins is the only player who may be a holdout when camp opens Sunday. The two sides are far apart on a one-year deal.

The Redskins announced they've signed six of their nine draft picks, including tight end Frank Wycheck of Maryland. They've also come to terms with their top pick, cornerback Tom Carter of Notre Dame. The two picks left to sign are running back Reggie Brooks of Notre Dame, their second-round choice, and linebacker Lamont Hollinquist of USC, their eighth-round pick.

The Redskins also announced they've signed punter Kelly Goodburn, tight end James Jenkins and linebacker Ravin Caldwell. They've come to terms with offensive lineman Mo Elewonibi, safety Todd Bowles, offensive lineman Guy Bingham and linebacker Andre Collins. NOTE: The Redskins called a news conference today to make Don Warren's retirement official.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.