Dr. John E. Bordley, a retired Johns Hopkins medical school professor who was known for his work in the treatment of hearing disorders and communication disabilities, died Monday after a heart attack at his home in Roland Park Place.
Dr. Bordley, who was 90 and who was named Andelot Professor Emeritus of Otolaryngology and Otology at Hopkins in 1969, taught at the medical school for 35 years.
When he retired in 1969, he had headed the Department of Otolaryngology -- Head and Neck Surgery for 15 years. At that time, he was also head of otolaryngology at the hospital and a professor of environmental medicine in the Division of Audiology and Speech in the School of Hygiene and Public Health.
He was a founder of the Hearing and Speech Clinic, now the Division of Audiology and Speech-Language at Hopkins. He pioneered an interdisciplinary approach to treating hearing and speech difficulties -- audiology, speech pathology services and medical care.
Dr. Michael E. Johns, dean of the medical school and also a former head of the department, said, "Dr. Bordley's contributions to the field of human communications have given new hope to the deaf and communicatively handicapped."
In 1972, Dr. Bordley was a consultant in the establishment of the Boys Town National Institute for Communicative Disorders in Children in Omaha, Neb. The library at the institute was named for him and, in 1982, he received the Boys Town Outstanding Citizen Award.
In 1981, he received a U.S. presidential citation. He also received the Award of Merit from the American Otological Society and the Gold Medal of the International Federation of Otorhinolaryngology.
He was honorary president of the VIII World Congress of Otolaryngology in 1985, and in 1990 the John E. Bordley Chair in Otolaryngology was established at Hopkins.
Born in Baltimore, at Hopkins, he attended Marston's School and graduated from the Gilman School. He graduated from Yale University in 1925 and from the Hopkins medical school four years later.
He served an internship and residency at Union Memorial Hospital before completing his residency training in 1933 at Hopkins.
During World War II, he was assigned to the Army's 118th General Hospital, which was staffed by Hopkins personnel in Australia and the Philippines. He rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel.
He also held visiting teaching posts at Guy's Hospital in London and at hospitals in Australia, the Philippines, Egypt, Lebanon, Taiwan, Poland, Iran, South Africa and India.
He had also chaired the medical advisory committee of the Society for Crippled Children, served on the President's Committee for Employment of the Handicapped, and was a member of the Institute for Sensory and Brain Research and the American Academy of Otolaryngology -- Head and Neck Surgery.
Services for Dr. Bordley were to be conducted at 10:30 a.m. today at St. John's-Huntingdon Episcopal Church, Old York Road and Greenmount Avenue in Baltimore.
He is survived by his wife, the former Ellen Bruce Fisher; two daughters, Ellen Bruce Gibbs of Sparks and Anne Moss of Chestertown; three granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Bordley Chair in care of the Fund for Johns Hopkins Medicine.