Charles FlowerreeAmbassadorCharles Conway Flowerree, a...


July 13, 1993

Charles Flowerree


Charles Conway Flowerree, a native of Baltimore who was United States ambassador to the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva in 1980 and 1981, during negotiations on the banning of chemical weapons, died Friday of cancer at his home in Arlington, Va.

Mr. Flowerree retired from the State Department in 1982 after 20 years in the foreign service and four years in the department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research.

He had also been an investigator for the United Nations on the use of chemical weapons in the Iran-Iraq War and co-author of the International Handbook on Chemical Weapons Proliferation, published in 1991.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1940 graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and a 1943 graduate of the Naval Academy. During World War II, he served on a destroyer in the Pacific.

After assignments as naval attache in Tehran, Iran, and Karachi, Pakistan, he was a staff officer in the Pacific during the Korean War. He was a retired captain in the Naval Reserve.

When he first joined the foreign service in 1962, he held several posts dealing with Vietnam, including that of deputy director of the Vietnam Working Group in the State Department. After his retirement, he helped to write an official history of foreign relations in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

In addition to his home in Arlington, he had a home in

Rectortown, Va., where he was a member of the vestry of the Episcopal parish in the area, which includes Emmanuel Church in nearby Delaplane where memorial services are to be conducted at 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

He is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Jane Corddry; a son, William K. Flowerree of East Hampton, Conn.; a daughter, Elisabeth Flowerree of Concord, N.C.; and two sisters, Mary Rett of Charleston, S.C., and Sally Harrison of Deer Isle, Maine.

Charles R. Reiter

Edmondson High teacher

Charles R. Reiter, a retired industrial arts and driver education teacher at Edmondson High School, died Sunday of respiratory failure at his home in Westminster.

Mr. Reiter, who was 84, retired in 1972 from Edmondson High School where he taught for many years. He had earlier served as a junior high school principal.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and the University of Maryland.

A member of St. John's Roman Catholic Church in Westminster, he earlier belonged to St. Cecilia's Church in Baltimore and St. Mark Church in Catonsville, where he was active in the Holy Name Society and as an adult leader in the Boy Scouts and other youth programs.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. John's Church.

He is survived by his wife, the former Louise Helen Young; a son, Charles L. Reiter III of Catonsville; a daughter, Mary Reiter Coakley of Westminster; a sister, Miriam E. Reiter of Towson; and five grandchildren.

Audrey G. Reinke-Russell, a homemaker and hospital volunteer whose father founded the Goetze Candy Co., died Friday of pneumonia at St. Agnes Hospital. She was 80.

Born and reared in Baltimore, the former Audrey Goetze was a graduate of Eastern High School, Strayer Business College and the Peabody Institute.

Her grandfather, William A. Goetze, started the family business as the Baltimore Chewing Gum Co. in 1895. Her father, R. Melvin Goetze Sr., changed the Baltimore company's focus and its name in 1951. The company manufactures caramel and licorice creams.

She was married for 50 years to Harry A. Reinke, a retired Army colonel who died in 1981. The couple had lived in Stuttgart, Germany, and Hawaii during military tours before settling in Ruxton in 1965. Seven years later, upon Colonel Reinke's retirement from a civilian job at Fort Holabird, they moved to Sarasota, Fla.

From 1965 to 1972, Mrs. Reinke-Russell was a volunteer at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. She also volunteered at Doctors' Hospital in Sarasota for about 10 years.

She had been living at the Charlestown Retirement Community since February with her second husband, Charles E. Russell Sr. They were married in 1989.

She also is survived by a daughter, Anne R. Lambdin of Sparks; a brother, R. Melvin Goetze Jr. of Lutherville; three grandchildren; and three step-grandchildren.

Services were held Sunday at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home. The family suggested donations to the American Cancer Society.

Edith V. McGinnis

AT&T representative

Edith Veronica McGinnis, a customer service representative for the American Telephone & Telegraph Co., died Friday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center of injuries received earlier that day in an automobile accident at York and Timonium roads.

Mrs. McGinnis, who was 35 and lived on Cedonia Avenue in Northeast Baltimore, had worked for AT&T since 1987. She had earlier worked in telemarketing for several companies.

The former Edith Veronica Day, known as "Bunny," was born in Baltimore and was a graduate of Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School. She also attended the Community College of Baltimore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.