Inmate charged in killing of man in front of children He is also awaiting trial in rape case BALTIMORE CITY

July 10, 1993|By Roger Twigg | Roger Twigg,Staff Writer

A state inmate awaiting trial in the rape of a 10-year-old girl was charged yesterday with killing a man last September in front of his two children in Northwest Baltimore, city police reported.

Quinton Stephens, 26, of the 2400 block of Druid Hill Ave. is charged with killing James Robert Canty, 40, of the 5600 block of Cadillac Ave.

Stephens was brought from the Maryland Correctional Training Center in Hagerstown to Baltimore where he was charged yesterday with first-degree murder and a handgun violation, said Doug Price, a police spokesman.

Mr. Price said that after Stephens was questioned at police headquarters by homicide detectives, he was taken to the Central District lockup to await a bail hearing.

Mr. Canty was slain after leaving a carryout store in the 4600 block of Gwynn Oak Ave. with his two children who were 9 and 10 years of age, the spokesman said.

Police said Mr. Canty had observed a man tampering with his car and had brandished a pistol, but was then shot by the other man as the children watched, police said.

On April 16, Stephens began serving a one-year sentence at the Maryland Correctional Training Center in Hagerstown for narcotics and firearms convictions and parole violations, according to correctional officials.

Court records show that Stephens was arrested April 4 on suspicion of raping and sodomizing a 10-year-old girl.

He is scheduled to be tried on charges in that case in August in Baltimore City Circuit Court, the records show.

In the Canty slaying case, homicide detectives established the identity of the suspect by working closely with the Police Department's computer section.

Witnesses told detectives they knew of the suspect only as "Quinton."

Police ran the name through a computer and turned the case over to the Cold Case Squad, a four-member unit that was created last year to handle unsolved cases.

"This one was real tough," a homicide detective said of the investigation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.