Tracks vote to discontinue ACRS Pimlico Special's status uncertain for 1994 running

July 07, 1993|By Ross Peddicord | Ross Peddicord,Staff Writer

There will be no American Championship Racing Series in 1994.

A memo from ACRS founder Barry Weisbord was read at a board meeting of the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association in Laurel last night that said racetrack operators participating in the series have voted to discontinue it next year.

Three more races -- the Iselin Handicap at Monmouth Park, the Pacific Classic at Del Mar and the Woodward Stakes at Belmont Park -- have yet to be run in the 10-race series for 1993.

Laurel/Pimlico operator Joe De Francis referred all questions last night to ACRS executive director David Vance, who could not be reached for comment.

De Francis said plans for the Pimlico Special, which was the fourth leg of the series this year, are "up in the air" for next spring.

The Pimlico Special was run on the same card as the Preakness this year so that the race could be telecast on ABC.

"That was just a one-year experiment," De Francis said. He added that he did not yet know if the race would be moved back to its old date on the Saturday preceding the Preakness.

The 3-year-old ACRS series was designed to give more television exposure to older horses, but ran into problems last year when some races such as the New England Classic were dropped. Additional tracks, such as Oaklawn and Santa Anita parks, dropped out of the series this year.

The ACRS point leader is 4-year-old colt Devil His Due.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.