Welder guilty of murder of Annapolis man Alleged accomplice is still at large

July 02, 1993|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,Staff Writer

A 26-year-old welder was convicted yesterday in the murder of an Annapolis man found shot in the back last summer in a parking lot littered with cocaine.

Robert Amos Patterson, of the 1000 block of Wooten Court in Silver Spring, showed no emotion as the Circuit Court jury's verdict was announced, but the victim's mother expressed relief and gratitude.

"Justice has been served, and I thank the Lord," said Vivian Holland, the mother of Rudolph C. Holland.

"Now, we can just hope that he gets life without parole," said the victim's girlfriend, Jackie Mason, 23, of Annapolis.

Judge Eugene M. Lerner, who presided over the trial, ordered a pre-sentence investigation and scheduled sentencing for Aug. 25.

Mr. Holland, 21, of the 1800 block of Bowman Court in Annapolis, was shot twice in the back with a .38-caliber chrome-plated revolver at 8:45 p.m. July 9, 1992, in the parking lot off the first block of Town Pines Court in Annapolis.

The jury of seven men and five women listened to two days of testimony and deliberated for 2 1/2 hours before convicting Patterson of first-degree murder and two handgun offenses.

The verdict was announced in a courtroom that had six deputies posted to ensure security.

The four extra deputies were assigned because police testifying in the case said Patterson and other defense witnesses had insulted the officers throughout the trial, said Undersheriff Pat Ogle. The added security was intended to prevent confrontations after the verdict, he said.

Assistant State's Attorney Frank J. Ragione said Patterson and an accomplice shot Mr. Holland during a robbery attempt. The alleged accomplice, Anthony Lumpkin, 30, formerly of Edgewater, has been charged in a warrant with first-degree murder and remains at large, Mr. Ragione said.

According to testimony, Patterson and Mr. Lumpkin were seen by neighbors in Town Pines Court the night of the murder. One witness testified that she knew Mr. Lumpkin because he had dated her daughter. Patterson was arrested about midnight July 17, 1992, in Washington, D.C., by metropolitan police responding to calls about shots being fired near Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, according to testimony.

An FBI firearms expert testified that the copper-topped bullet taken from Mr. Holland's body, along with

one found nearby that had passed through the body, came from a weapon confiscated that night.

Patterson testified that he was one of three people arrested in Washington on July 17. He claimed police were mistaken and that it was Mr. Lumpkin who surrendered the gun.

Patterson also testified that at the time of the murder, he was at a crab dinner at his sister's house in Forestville, Prince George's County, a 45-minute drive from Annapolis.

"I was never in Annapolis," he told jurors.

Samuel Hamilton, a Silver Spring defense attorney, described his client as a father of two who served in the Army and National Guard, worked as a welder, earned his General Equivalency Diploma and had never been convicted of any crime.

"This is a case of complete mistaken identification," he said.

One of Patterson's sisters, a niece, neighbor and two family friends also told jurors they saw him at the crab feast, and that he briefly left twice, to buy more beer and crabs.

But Assistant State's Attorney Frank Ragione told jurors to question how Patterson and the defense witnesses could provide the exact times he arrived at and departed that one party out of several at the Forestville house last summer.

"All of them said they didn't get together and discuss their testimony, but they can sure tell you, miraculously, all these times when Mr. Patterson arrived and when he left that day a year ago," Mr. Ragione said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.