Cynthia W. EinsteinTeacher, missionaryCynthia Ward...


July 02, 1993

Cynthia W. Einstein

Teacher, missionary

Cynthia Ward Einstein, a 31-year-old native of Baltimore who was a resident of Tel Aviv, Israel, died Sunday in a car accident while on vacation in California.

Ms. Einstein and her husband, Mark, were touring the United States with two other Israelis when the accident occurred in Redding, Calif.

Lilach Veintraub was killed in the accident. Her brother, Mordechi Veintraub, and Mr. Einstein were hospitalized.

Ms. Einstein was born in Baltimore and at age 13 moved with her family to Glen Burnie, where she graduated from Andover High School. She then married and moved with her husband to Tel Aviv.

Fluent in Hebrew, Ms. Einstein was a teacher and missionary for the Jehovah's Witnesses, a Christian sect, in Israel. She also worked in the graphic arts department of the Watch Tower, the sect's international publication.

Joan Ward said her daughter would be missed for "her loving service to everyone. She loved to do things for people. I think that will be a loss to everyone."

A memorial service is scheduled for 7 p.m. Monday at the Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Sunrise Beach Road in Crownsville.

Besides her husband of 12 years, Ms. Einstein is survived by heparents, Haywood D. and Joan Ward of Brooklyn Park; two aunts; and two uncles.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, Sunrise Beach Road, Crownsville, Md. 21032.

Joseph J. Harmon

Company president

Joseph J. Harmon, retired president of a vending machine company who owned and raced horses, died Tuesday of kidney failure at Sinai Hospital. He was 79.

The Massachusetts native moved here when he was named president of Baltimore Cigarette Service in 1950. A division of New York-based Rowe Manufacturing, the vending machine company was originally on Park Avenue and Read Street and moved to Anne Arundel County in the late 1960s.

Before his transfer to Baltimore, he worked for Medford Cigarrette Service in Medford, Mass., another division of Rowe Manufacturing, which merged with Canteen Corp. and was later absorbed by othercompanies.

From the early 1960s until about 10 years ago, he operated Jay Jay Stables, at times joined by his sons. He raced horses at Bowie, Laurel and Pimlico racetracks and occasionally at the Meadowlands in New Jersey.

He lived in Northwest Baltimore until 1961, when he and his wife, the former Lillian Tobias, moved to Pikesville. Mrs. Harmon died in 1989.

A graduate of Chelsea High School in Chelsea, Mass., Mr. Harmon attended Boston College, where he studied journalism. For a few years in the 1930s, he worked for the Boston Globe.

He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II as an aircraft mechanic and flight engineer stationed in the Pacific. He saw duty on Biak Island and other locations in the Netherlands East Indies and on Guam. He was discharged from the Army in 1945.

He was a member of the Hiram Masonic Lodge, the Alma Temple in Washington, D.C., and the Brotherhood of the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation.

Services for Mr. Harmon were to be held at 11 a.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros. Home, 6010 Reisterstown Road in Baltimore.

He is survived by two sons, Steven Z. Harmon of Randallstown and Albert R. Harmon of Montclair, N.J.; a sister, Betty R. Harmon of Hyannis Port, Mass.; and four grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.