Lean Zina zips along in a breeze Garrison-Jackson sails on, 6-0, 6-1

June 27, 1993|By Sandra McKee PTC | Sandra McKee PTC,Staff Writer

WIMBLEDON, England -- Zina Garrison-Jackson was flawless yesterday. Everything she played worked, even the net cords.

In a match that was anticipated to be one of the best on a slow day at Wimbledon, Garrison-Jackson overwhelmed fifth-seed Mary-Joe Fernandez, 6-0, 6-1, to move to the fourth round.

"It was just my day," Garrison-Jackson said. "I was moving well, the lobs and passing shots were there and I got unbelievable net cords."

One, said Fernandez, who expected more from herself after finishing runner-up at the French Open, came at a "crucial" moment.

Fernandez had just lost the first set 6-0.On the first point of the second set, Garrison-Jackson hit a shot that hit the tape and bounced over.

"At that point," Fernandez said, "I told myself to hang in, but it was pretty obvious everything Zina did was going to work. And if I have to lose like this to anyone, let it be Zina."

Garrison-Jackson has been motivated since a tournament in Zurich, Switzerland, 13 months ago. "I was so overweight, I couldn't even run from one side of the court to the other," Garrison-Jackson said. "I wasn't challenging people. I wasn't playing well. I was still making the top 16, but the top players were killing me."

It was so bad she wasn't even sure she wanted to make the commitment to get back in shape. Retirement, she thought, might be easier. But then she started working with Bobby Kersee (husband of Jackie Joyner-Kersee), doing a lot of track workouts to improve her speed and strength.

"I knew it was going to be a lot of work to get back to where I am now," she said. "The motivation came from realizing I had become unprofessional. It was the lowest point of my career, and it hurt."

It also hurt when she arrived here and found herself unseeded for the first time since the early 1980s.

Yesterday was her first appearance on Centre Court since the 1990 final. "I didn't even think about it," she said. "All I thought about was beating Mary Joe. And when she won that game at 5-1, I thought about the French Open and how she had come back in exactly the same situation, and I wanted to make sure I kept my concentration and won."

Pam Shriver and Liz Smylie moved to the quarterfinals of the women's doubles by beating Karina Habsudova and Nicole Muns-Jagerman, 6-0, 2-6, 6-3.

"This is where it all begins," Shriver said. "We will have to play excellent matches from here on out."

The Shriver-Smylie team will face Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and Helena Sukova, who won, 6-4, 6-3, over Michelle Jaggard-Lai and Kristine Radford.

"We have to play solid tennis to beat them," Shriver said. "We have to play high-percentage tennis, get solid first serves in and make quick returns. When you get to the quarters, you've got the top teams and you don't get too many cheap points.

"So, we have to play our best so far, but we're capable. And as long as I only have to cover half the court," said Shriver, of Lutherville, Md., who has been bothered by a sore leg, "I can manage."

Courier wins one, loses some

No. 3 seed Jim Courier, who is staying in a private residence "somewhere in the London vicinity," was burglarized Friday night.

Courier didn't want to talk about it yesterday, calling it "no big deal."

His guitar, an unspecified amount of cash and a CD player were among the items taken.

Courier advanced to the fourth round with a 6-4, 7-6 (11-9), 3-6, 6-4 victory over Jason Stoltenberg.

ATP seeks line check

Paul Settles, tour manager for the Association of Tennis Professionals, said the ATP is composing a letter to the United States Tennis Association asking it to reconsider its decision to use an electronic line-calling system at the U.S. Open.

"We're asking that they first use the system at the challenge level," said Settles, referring to the minorleagues of pro tennis, where players earn $25,000 to $125,000 for victories. "It's a polite letter, and we hope the USTA will be open to it. We think they will be."

Settles said the ATP is sending the letter because most of its players have voiced unhappiness that the new system is being installed for the Open without tests elsewhere.

All is not fine

Wimbledon has handed out more fines to players for unacceptable behavior on and off the grass of the All England Club.

Including yesterday's fines of $2,500 to Goran Ivanisevic, nine fines have been issued to seven players.

John-Laffnie de Jager of South Africa and American Todd Witsken were fined for yelling at an umpire, and France's Arnaud Boetsch was fined for hitting the ball out of the court. All three incidents happened in doubles matches Friday, and each player was fined $500.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.