25 Years Ago (Week of June 16-22, 1968):* The Charles J...

FLASHBACKS

June 27, 1993

25 Years Ago (Week of June 16-22, 1968):

* The Charles J. Cirelli Construction Company was low bidder on the construction of additions to Mount Hebron and Glenelg high schools. The bid totaled $1.1 million for both jobs: $751,000 for Glenelg and $349,000 for Mount Hebron.

* The Ellicott Theatre on Main Street, scheduled to close July 1 due to lack of patronage (films were sometimes shown to a completely empty house), was taken over by William E. Bakersmith of Riverdale. The theater had re-opened in April after having been closed for several years.

50 Years Ago (week of June 20-26, 1943):

* Two men were charged with reckless driving after a two-car accident at Old Frederick Road and Oella Avenue. The driver of one car allegedly failed to stop at a stop sign, and hit the second vehicle, causing it to overturn. Damages to the two cars were estimated at $75 and $500 respectively.

* County farmers received help this week with their string bean harvest. About 35 boys from St. Mary's Industrial School in Baltimore were transported by school bus to various county farms to help pick the beans.

Information for this column was compiled by Diane Mullaly from the files of the Howard County Historical Society's library.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.