Now 95, deaf man was castrated, locked up for decades

June 24, 1993|By Gary L. Wright | Gary L. Wright,Knight-Ridder News Service

GOLDSBORO, N.C. -- Junius Wilson was accused in 1925 of attempted rape and was jailed. He was never tried or convicted. His punishment, though, was far worse.

Taken from his home and family, he was sent to an insane asylum, castrated, then locked away and forgotten.

Mr. Wilson wasn't mentally ill. He was deaf.

But by the time authorities at Cherry Hospital in Goldsboro figured out that he didn't belong in a psychiatric hospital, Mr. Wilson was in his 70s and had been there 45 years.

No one bothered, all those years, to communicate with him using the archaic sign language he knew. No one taught him standard sign language. So he made up his own language.

Through it all, Mr. Wilson managed, somehow, to keep his sanity.

Today, at 95, he is finally being taught to sign. After almost 68 years, he may be released from Cherry Hospital.

"He's a survivor," says John Wasson, a social worker who, as Mr. Wilson's guardian, is fighting to improve his life. "Or he wouldn't have lasted this long.

"I can't imagine what strength of spirit it would take to persevere under those conditions. Not only was he in a mental hospital for 68 years, he couldn't speak. And he couldn't be understood. That makes it all the more remarkable."

These days, Mr. Wilson moves with an ease that belies his age, his stocky, 5-foot-6 body swaying to a shuffling gait. He's remarkably alert, his eyes watching what's happening around him.

He could pass for a farmer, often dressed in overalls, a baseball cap over a full head of gray hair, a wad of Red Man chewing tobacco in his cheek.

Since a stroke seven years ago, his right shoulder sags and his right hand can manage little more than clawlike grasps.

Asked about his family and where he used to live, he shrugs and shakes his head. He signs: "far away" and "long ago."

Mr. Wilson's nightmare began in 1925 near the coast in the New Hanover County town of Castle Hayne.

Jailed at 29

He was 29 when he was jailed -- a black man charged with assault with intent to commit rape. At an inquisition of lunacy -- as the hearings were called then -- Mr. Wilson was declared insane, dangerous and incompetent to defend himself.

In the foot-high stack of medical records, only a handful date to Mr. Wilson's first 40 years at the asylum.

Among them are Judge F. A. Daniels' order committing Mr. Wilson and a three-page transcript of the Nov. 18, 1925, inquisition, at which Mr. Wilson's guilt seems to have been taken for granted.

Both Dr. T. C. Britt, an assistant county physician, and Jailer Carl Cook told the judge they thought Mr. Wilson was insane and dangerous. Mr. Cook testified that he tried to talk to Mr. Wilson in what the prosecutor called "the language of the deaf."

"Do you get intelligent answers from him?" prosecutor Woodus Kellum asked.

"Not one yet," the jailer replied.

So Junius Wilson was committed to what was then North Carolina's asylum for black people, the State Hospital in Goldsboro, 50 miles southeast of Raleigh.

"They locked him up and threw away the keys," says Jim Wall, director of litigation for Legal Services of the Lower Cape Fear in Wilmington. "There was no effort to do anything more than warehouse him. He was written off as a human being."

Shortly after his arrival on Nov. 21, 1925, Mr. Wilson was castrated. Medical records from more than a half-century later called the operation "therapeutic."

Cages and crowds

Mr. Wilson spent years -- the records don't disclose how long -- HTC locked in the building for the criminally insane.

That building was "dank, dark and fetorious [fetid]," according to a state inspection in 1948, and patients were found locked in cages for long periods. One man had been kept in the cage for about four years, the inspection said.

On the second floor, as many as 70 patients were jammed into a room called the "bull pen." They had only two toilets and drank from one water barrel.

Twenty-two years went by before Mr. Wilson saw his family again.

On June 5, 1947, his father, Sidney Wilson, and sister, Carrie Gill, visited and asked for his release. It was not granted, and they did not return.

Finally, in 1970, 45 years after Mr. Wilson arrived, social workers wrote Mr. Wilson's mother, Mary Clark, in New York and his sister, Carrie Gill, in Castle Hayne telling them that they could come for Mr. Wilson at their convenience.

The letters were returned, marked "addressee unknown" and "address unknown."

The psychiatrists and social workers talked about releasing him from the hospital. But they never did.

Mr. Wilson, they reasoned, was better off in the hospital.

The debate continued into the 1980s.

"This is his home," a social worker wrote in 1980, "and I do not think he should be sent away from his home."

As he grew old in Cherry, Mr. Wilson retained what medical records described as "a keen power of observation." His doctors and social workers called him outgoing and intelligent, sociable and charming, playful and industrious.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.