One trip down drag strip had Everett Tracey hooked


June 20, 1993|By Neil LippySTAN DILLON

Everett Tracey of Hampstead has been around racing most of his life. His father raced go-karts and took him to oval tracks in the area. But it wasn't until four years ago that Tracey began to go to drag races.

"I went with my friends, but didn't race," said Tracey. "I only had one car and I was afraid of racing that for fear of blowing the engine. Then I wouldn't have any way to get to work. Now I have a few cars and don't have to worry about it."

Once Tracey had an extra car, he gave racing a try. Like so many drag enthusiasts, Tracey was hooked after his first run.

Tracey started racing in the trophy class, first in a pick-up truck, later in a 1970 Monte Carlo.

"I won in that class [trophy] once," said Tracey. "It got boring so I decided to step up to Class II."

After a year behind the wheel, Tracey started this season in Class II against tougher competition and signed up for the points. The 25-year-old driver has continued to show improvement every week.

"I made changes to the suspension so the car would leave the line more consistent," he said. "I also purchased McCreary tires that are designed for racing but at the same time street-legal. They are more consistent than the radials I was racing with."

Three weeks ago, his motor gave out.

"I was beginning to get the hang of it and it blew," said Tracey. "The motor was pretty well worn-out when I brought it, so it was just a matter of time. I just didn't expect it to go this early in the season, but that's racing.

"I didn't even get to race that night. I thought there was something wrong while I was adjusting the rocker arms. Then when I made my timing run the car slowed way down. So I didn't race. I was able to drive my car home."

To stay in the points race, Tracey has been driving his 1968 Chevrolet pickup truck, which he first used when he started in the Trophy Class, but he hopes to have his Monte Carlo back in action before too long.

"I am waiting for special motor mounts," he said. "I am going to install a 472-cubic-inch Cadillac motor in it that I have had sitting around. I was going to put it in a 1981 Chevrolet Chevelle station wagon that I was going to race.

"When I decided to put the Chevelle on the road I didn't use the motor. I have about $2,000 tied up in the motor and I hated to see it go to waste. Besides, I probably would have put a ton of money in the blown motor."

It won't be easy for Tracey to get back in the groove when he returns with his car. It will take a lot of work at the beginning to get to know the engine and to get the consistency needed to do well in drag racing.

A graduate of North Carroll High School, Tracey graduated from the Arundel Institute of Technology, majoring in electronics after a tour in the Army. He works as a field service technician for Advanced Business Systems and would like to work in robotics systems technology.

"I really enjoy racing," said Tracey. "I never plan on making a living at it. But someday I would like to own a real fast nine- to 10-second car."

Racing results

Gary Stuhler of Westminster got his second win at the Bedford Speedway last Friday night in the late-model feature.

Stuhler had won on the Memorial Day special from pole to pole, but found the going a little harder this time.

After starting in ninth place and slowly making his way through the pack, Stuhler trailed leader Andy Fries for seven laps before passing him on lap 16 for the victory.

At Trail-Way Speedway, Westminster's Brad McClelland was second in the micro-sprint feature and won the consolation round.

Corky Stull of Westminster was fifth and Bobby Feeser of Millers was ninth in the eight-cylinder stock car feature. Jeff Shepard of Finksburg was fifth in the four-cylinder stock car feature.

At Lincoln Speedway, Randy Zechman of Westminster was second in the semi-late feature after finishing second in his heat.

Darren Eash, formerly of Finksburg, was third in the super-sprint feature after winning his heat.

Stull was fifth in his thundercar feature and third in his heat.

At the 75-80 Dragway, Joe Mayne of Mount Airy won the Class I competition and the Top Dog by defeating Class II winner Jamie Talbert of Taneytown.

Norman Spielman of Taneytown was runner-up in the Class II. Mike Stambaugh of Union Bridge was a semifinalist. Scott Lowman of Woodbine and Rick Waxter of Westminster went four rounds.

Lisa Peddicord won the ETK class in her LTD.

In motorcycles Dave Belt of Taneytown was runner-up and Tim Lippy of New Windsor was a semifinalist.

Josh Wagner of Westminster won the Junior Dragster Class.

Last Sunday in the Old Nostalgia Race, Rodney Kuhns was runner-up in Class I and George Hoff won the Class II.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.