Dunbar aide had a record A school principal was told in 1990 of a sex conviction

June 16, 1993|By Jay Apperson | Jay Apperson,Staff Writer

Dunbar High School officials did not request a background check on an aide who was charged last week with sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy and had a prior conviction for fondling a teen-ager, a school system spokesman said yesterday.

The spokesman, Nat Harrington, was unable to say whether Dunbar officials conducted any independent checks on Edward D. "Zeke" Mazyck when they hired him in March 1992.

But Mr. Mazyck's criminal history apparently was not unknown to the school system. Baltimore Circuit Court records show an elementary school principal was told in 1990 of the man's conviction for a fourth-degree sexual offense.

Mr. Mazyck, 28, has been working with children since he was 14, coaching youth baseball, basketball and soccer, according to court records. In March 1992, he was hired at Dunbar as a staff aide who helped out in the cafeteria and school hallways, most recently working as an aide in the athletic department, Mr. Harrington said.

"There is a system in place to check the background of our employees hired through our central office," Mr. Harrington said. "Apparently, this individual was hired at the school level. There is no indication right now that a background check was requested by the school on him."

Mr. Harrington said Mr. Mazyck has been suspended without pay pending the outcome of the most recent case in which he has been charged by police with twice sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy after offering him a ride home.

Police said the boy does not attend Dunbar but that one of the alleged attacks took place at the East Baltimore school. Mr. Mazyck was arrested Thursday and charged with two counts each of sodomy, kidnapping, perverted sex practice and battery, police said.

The charges stem from the boy's claim that Mr. Mazyck offered him a ride home on May 20, said Agent Doug Price, a police spokesman. The boy, who said he had known Mr. Mazyck for about two months, claimed he was not driven home but instead was taken "to a secluded spot near some railroad tracks," Mr. Price said.

Police said the victim reported that he was sexually assaulted at the location. The boy claimed that Mr. Mazyck then drove him to Dunbar, took him inside and sexually assaulted him again, Mr. Price said.

Mr. Mazyck's 1990 conviction stemmed from charges that he fondled a boy at the Oliver Multi-Purpose Youth Center in East Baltimore. The boy, a member of Mr. Mazyck's football team, was led into an office where Mr. Mazyck asked him to pull down his pants to be measured for a uniform and then fondled him, court documents show. The documents show the boy then rejected Mr. Mazyck's offer of $100 and a pair of football cleats if the boy would allow Mr. Mazyck to sodomize him.

In February 1990, Judge David B. Mitchell gave Mr. Mazyck a one-year suspended sentence and three years' probation, with a condition requiring him to share information about his conviction with his supervisors if he sought any position that involved contact with children.

Mr. Mazyck told his probation of- ficer in June 1990 that he was volunteering at Waverly Elementary School and the Madison Square Recreation Center, court records show. The probation officer, James R. Berger, subsequently told Mary L. McCrea, then Waverly's principal, of Mr. Mazyck's conviction, court records show.

Ms. McCrea said Mr. Mazyck's volunteer status would be "immediately terminated," according to Mr. Berger's report.

Ms. McCrea, now principal at Harlem Park Elementary, was said to be away from the school yesterday due to a death in her family and could not be reached for comment.

The probation officer's investigation showed Mr. Mazyck had presented to the director of Madison Square what he purported to be a court document showing he had been found not guilty.

In August 1990, Mr. Mazyck was ordered to serve the one-year sentence for the sexual offense after being found guilty of violating his probation. Mr. Mazyck also was convicted in 1990 of conspiracy to violate drug laws after being arrested at the scene of a drug raid at an East Baltimore house and of the unauthorized use of his employer's company car, court records show.

Reached by telephone at his home last night, Mr. Mazyck refused to comment on the charges against him. After his 1990 conviction, he told a psychiatrist that he "denies any interest in sexual contact with men in general and boys in particular," court records show.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.