Violence claims 5 within 24 hours Mother charged in shooting of daughter

June 13, 1993|By Arthur Hirsch | Arthur Hirsch,Staff Writer

In less than 24 hours between Friday and yesterday afternoon, shooting and stabbing casualties mounted in Baltimore at a pace to rival a city in civil war.

In separate incidents, four people were shot or stabbed to death, still-unidentified woman died of injuries she suffered in a beating on Memorial Day weekend and a mother allegedly shot and seriously injured her teen-age daughter.

The killings -- four of which occurred in West Baltimore -- raised the number of homicides in the city to 152 as of yesterday afternoon, said city police spokesman Doug Price.

The toll through the same period last year was 137.

Shortly after noon yesterday, an argument between a mother and daughter in a Northwest Baltimore home erupted in gunfire.

Police said Clarice Kiser, 32, was arguing with her 14-year-old daughter in their home in the 3300 block of W. Garrison Ave. The girl -- whose name was not released -- punched her mother, then ran out onto the porch. Her mother followed with a semiautomatic handgun and fired twice, striking the girl in the right eye and right shoulder, police said.

The girl was taken to Sinai Hospital, where a spokesman said she was in the recovery room last night after surgery. No condition report was available.

Her mother was charged with assault with intent to murder, handgun violations and child abuse.

She was being held in the Central District Women's Detention Center pending a bail hearing.

The spate of killings began at 9:21 p.m. Friday in the 600 block of Pitcher St., in West Baltimore, where a woman was found stabbed to death on the sidewalk.

Margaret Jones, 28, of the 400 block of Orchard St. had been stabbed several times in the chest, neck and head. Her husband, Reginald Jones, 30, of the same address was sitting nearby on the steps of a house with a knife in his hand and bleeding from a stab wound to the abdomen, Mr. Price said.

Both were taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Ms. Jones was pronounced dead there at 10:06 p.m.

Mr. Jones was treated for his stab wound and was reported in critical but stable condition yesterday afternoon.

If Mr. Jones survives, he will be charged with first-degree murder, Mr. Price said.

Less than three hours later, just after midnight, police went to the 1600 block of N. Dallas St. in East Baltimore for a report of a shooting.

Officers found a young man lying on the street bleeding from several gunshot wounds.

He was identified as Darrin S. Mosley, 23, of the 1400 block of E. Lanvale St. He was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was pronounced dead at 1:45 a.m.

Mr. Mosley was sitting on the steps of a rowhouse when a man approached and began shooting, Mr. Price said. No one has been arrested and no motive has been established.

At 2:10 a.m., police went to a stabbing in the 500 block of McMechen St. in West Baltimore.

The officers went to the kitchen of the house, where they found Stanley Braxton, 49, lying on the floor, bleeding from a stab wound to the chest.

Paramedics pronounced him dead there at 2:19 a.m.

Linda Woodridge, 36, whom police identified as Mr. Braxton's companion, was arrested in the house and charged with first-degree murder. She was being held at the Central District Women's Detention Center pending a bail hearing.

Mr. Braxton and Ms. Woodridge lived together in the house.

Minutes after Mr. Braxton was pronounced dead, a shooting was reported in the 1700 block of W. North Ave.

Police found a man who had been shot several times lying in the doorway of King's Carryout. He was pronounced dead there at 2:33 a.m.

Mr. Price said the man has not been identified, and that police knew of no motive or suspects in the slaying.

During the investigation of that killing, police arrested several people either for interfering with police or because a firearm was found on one of the bystanders, Mr. Price said.

He said the disturbance after the shooting is under investigation.

2:15 p.m. Friday, an unidentified young woman died at Shock Trauma from a beating she suffered last month.

The woman, who was about 29, had been found on the night of May 30 behind the George Kelson Elementary School on Gold Street in West Baltimore bleeding from a severe head wound.

Mr. Price said the wound had apparently been inflicted by a blow from a blunt weapon.

No arrests have been made in the fatal beating, and no motive has been established.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.