Germany's rally stuns Brazil, 3-3

June 11, 1993|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,Staff Writer

WASHINGTON -- The Brazilian players walked out of the locker room slowly in a single line. Few of them spoke.

They had gone from the best of times to the worst of times in a span of nearly two hours.

Forward Jurgen Klinsmann's goal in injury time completed a three-goal second-half rally by Germany as the Germans tied Brazil, 3-3, in a U.S. Cup '93 game yesterday.

Several thousand fans from the crowd of 34,737 had started to leave RFK Stadium yesterday before Klinsmann headed in the )) goal.

Regulation time had expired and the game was about one minute into injury time (extra time allotted for injury timeouts at the end of each half) when defenseman Michael Schulz hurled a throw-in pass over a teammate and three defenders.

After the ball bounced once, Klinsmann headed it in from inside the penalty area to the right of goalie Claudio Taffarel.

"We knew ahead of time that in a match between Brazil and Germany anything could happen," said Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira, whose team is 1-0-1 in this tournament. "I said before these were the world champions. Of course, the result was disappointing because of the second half."

Brazil played almost a perfect game in the first half. The Brazilians were at their improvising best, twisting and turning and outrunning the Germans (0-0-1) to and off the ball.

Brazil, which outshot Germany 14-5 in the first half, went ahead 1-0 when midfielder Luisinho's shot was knocked in the net by defender Thomas Helmer at the 13th minute of the first half.

Forward Careca scored on a penalty kick 19 minutes later, and Luisinho, after some crisp, three touch passing, scored from 10 yards out with 6:36 left in the half.

Germany was getting embarrassed. "It was quiet," Germany coach Berti Vogts said of his team's mood at halftime. "That was when we made the changes in the midfield, and everyone saw the results. The first half showed a brilliant Brazilian team. It took Germany 45 minutes to warm up -- it's normal to have a bad first half the third day after arriving."

Germany's first goal came on a slick pass from Christian Ziege to Klinsmann, who dribbled 10 yards before scoring on a shot through Taffarel's legs at the 66th minute.

The Germans' second goal came at the 80th minute when Taffarel knocked down a pass inside the penalty area, but midfielder Andreas Moeller kicked in the rebound.

"Nothing changed tactically, but we collapsed because we were spent from the first half," Parreira said. "Brazil totally dominated in the first half and tried to change in the second half because of fatigue in the midfield, and that is why we let them come back."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.