Heavy storm, lightning keep firefighters busy Power, cable TV outages reported

June 10, 1993|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

Firefighters throughout Carroll County were kept busy lat Tuesday night when lightning and a severe thunderstorm moved through the area.

Some 3,600 Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. customers in Carroll lost power. Power to all but 300 was restored by 5:30 a.m. yesterday and the rest were back on line by 10 a.m., the company reported.

A spokesman for Potomac Edison Co., which serves parts of western Carroll, said only a few of its customers lost electrical power during the storm.

About 2,000 of the 23,000 Prestige Cable customers were without cable television service for three hours Tuesday night after power lines were knocked down on Route 27 during a

heavy rainstorm.

Bill Bethune, the company's general manager, said there were still "small pockets" of customers without service yesterday, but most of them would have service restored by late afternoon.

"We lease space on the utility poles and cannot restore our service until the utility company completes their work," Mr. Bethune said.

Lightning that struck some BG&E equipment Tuesday night at Sykesville Middle School, in the 7300 block of Springfield Avenue, caused school officials to close the building at 12:10 p.m. yesterday, three hours early.

Some areas of the school were without electricity, while others had full service, a school official said. The office lost power for computers and other equipment.

BG&E spokeswoman Peggy Malloy said workers had to shut down the building to make repairs.

County fire companies responded to 11 storm-related calls between 8:39 p.m. and 11:14 p.m. Tuesday.

Units from Pleasant Valley and Westminster went to a house struck by lightning on Hughes Shop Road. Units were out for 30 minutes.

Westminster engines responded to a call about wires arcing on Route 27 at 8:53 p.m. They remained at the scene for two hours.

Sykesville, Gamber and Liberty Road responded to a house on Harvest Farm Road at 9:02 p.m. when the building was struck by lightning. The firefighters handled that call in 18 minutes.

Sykesville was on the road again at 9:04 p.m. in response to a call about wires burning on Second Avenue. Units were out for 30 minutes.

At 9:06 p.m., the Winfield fire company was dispatched to Route 27 briefly for a pole fire.

While one of the engines from Winfield was preparing to return to the station, another responded to a fire alarm in a building on Dotson Ridge Road. The 9:10 p.m. alarm kept the engine out 12 minutes.

One engine from Sykesville was dispatched for wires burning on Second Avenue at 9:32 p.m., and another unit was dispatched one minute later to join Gamber, Winfield and a unit from Baltimore County in fighting a house fire on Melstone Valley Way. The units were out for 30 minutes.

Engines from Hampstead responded for wires burning on Houcksville Road at 9:44 p.m. Units were out 15 minutes.

A small barn containing two old automobiles burned to the ground on Black Rock Road near Glenville Road, just over the Maryland line in Pennsylvania, about 10:50 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters from Lineboro, Manchester, Hampstead and York County, Pa., battled the stubborn blaze for 2 1/2 hours. No one was injured, and no cause or damage estimate was available.

Westminster units were dispatched for wires burning on Route 140 at 11:34 p.m. They were out for 15 minutes.

Westminster fire units also responded for a fire alarm at a building on Washington Road at 2:04 a.m. yesterday. Units were out for 30 minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.