O's unsure about Davis' return Conflicting reports arise about punch

June 09, 1993|By Milton Kent | Milton Kent,Staff Writer

Though Glenn Davis' jaw is to remain wired shut for six to eight weeks, Orioles officials are unsure if he will be out the rest of the season.

Davis, who sustained a broken jaw after he was punched by a bouncer outside a Virginia Beach, Va., nightclub Sunday night, remains hospitalized there after he underwent surgery on Monday.

Orioles general manager Roland Hemond said no decision on when or if Davis could play this year would be made until he returns to Baltimore sometime next week.

"It's too early to determine," said Hemond. "I hope he comes back, but I can't judge."

Davis, who was in the Tidewater area with the Rochester Red Wings, the Orioles' Triple-A farm team, was struck in the jaw by a bouncer outside Club Rogue, a Virginia Beach night spot, while he and two Rochester teammates, infielder Randy Ready and catcher Mark Parent, waited for a cab to take them back to their Norfolk hotel.

Hemond said he spoke with Davis' wife, Teresa, yesterday from the first baseman's hospital room.

Hemond said Teresa Davis requested that no information regard

ing her husband's condition be released.

However, Rochester trainer Kevin Harmon told the Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk that Davis' teeth were not aligned and his lower gum had been split by the punch.

Meanwhile, an attorney representing the nightclub where the incident involving Davis, Ready and Parent took place took exception yesterday with previously reported accounts that the players had not provoked the matter.

Peter G. Becker Jr., the attorney for Club Rogue, said the employees inside the club contacted police about the players' alleged rowdiness and phoned for a cab for them before Davis was punched.

Lou Thurston, a Virginia Beach police spokesman, yesterday confirmed that police received two fight calls from the club on Sunday, but would not confirm the specifics of the calls because no report was filed and no one was arrested.

In addition, Becker claimed that female patrons who entered the club complained that the players were harassing them outside while they were waiting for the taxi and only when the players were asked to move away from the establishment did the bouncers resort to necessary, but not unreasonable, force.

Becker said: "How much sense does it make that employees of a business that has been there for over 20 years would just go out and rough up customers without cause? What sense does that make? None at all."

Ready and Parent maintained Monday that they had come to the club Sunday after dinner to play pool and that they had left just after arriving because the club was loud and the pool area was crowded.

Becker, however, said the players had been seen drinking there.

"There are people who were in there who will tell you that they had been drinking there," said Becker. "You could tell they had something to drink there."

Parent told the Virginian-Pilot yesterday that he had "had one or two beers" while Davis, who does not drink alcohol, had ordered non-alcoholic beers.

The players said they called the cab and were waiting outside for it to arrive when one of three bouncers told them not to stand there.

Parent said: "Someone told Randy he couldn't stand there, which is ridiculous. Randy said, 'Well, I'm going to stay.' I'm still looking for the taxi. When I turn around, I heard Glenn say something and saw the guy guiding Randy out to the street."

Parent said the bouncer was holding Ready and when he went to suggest that the force wasn't necessary, he looked down and saw Davis lying on the ground.

"When I got to Glenn, he stood up and said he was sucker-punched," said Parent.

However, Becker said the bouncers were only responding to complaints by female patrons.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.