Driver is trapped for 1 hour after 3-vehicle crash CENTRAL--Union Mills * Westminster * Sandymount * Finksburg

June 09, 1993|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

A rain-slick highway may have led to a three-vehicle accident on Route 140 that trapped one driver inside his car for more than one hour yesterday morning.

The driver, Carl Martin Wolzog, 85, of the 400 block of Poole Road, was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore for treatment of injuries sustained in the 8 a.m. crash at Gorsuch Road. He was listed in serious and stable condition late yesterday.

State police said the driver of a heavy truck, used to put up utility poles and post hole digging, was westbound on Route 140 during a rainstorm and was unable to stop for the red traffic light at Gorsuch Road.

The truck first hit Mr. Wolzog's 1985 Buick, which was crossing Route 140.

The car careened off the roadway into a guy wire of a utility pole and trapped the driver inside.

The truck then struck a 1986 Ford Mustang that was pulling out of Gorsuch Road, spun the car around 180 degrees and knocked it onto a lawn beside the road.

Finally, the truck jumped a curb, destroyed a sign at the Elks Club and came to rest on a grassy slope.

Rescue workers from the Westminster and Pleasant Valley fire companies reported they had to cut away the Buick's roof and right-side door to extricate Mr. Wolzog.

The Ford's driver, Kimberly Freeland, 25, and her 2-year-old son, Kyle, were using seat restraints and were uninjured, police said.

The truck driver, Craig Lamont Brown, 29, of Annapolis, was taken to Carroll County General Hospital for treatment of his injuries.

He was released following treatment.

Traffic on Route 140 was delayed during the morning rush hour.

Charges are pending against Mr. Brown, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.