2 leave police after sexual misconduct complaints Attendant fired, technician resigns

June 09, 1993|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Staff Writer

A county police civilian station attendant was fired and an evidence technician resigned after complaints of sexual misconduct were lodged against them last month, police sources said.

According to the sources, the evidence technician made a comment about a job applicant's underwear as he fingerprinted her. After being charged administratively with conduct unbecoming a police employee, he resigned from his position May 25, the sources said.

In the second incident, a civilian station attendant also was charged administratively with conduct unbecoming an employee after a female officer complained of his sexual advances, police sources said. He was later fired, the source said.

Both women filed complaints to the department's Internal Affairs Unit, which investigated.

Sgt. Mark Howes, Police Chief Robert Russell's assistant, confirmed that the two employees no longer work for the department. He would not discuss the specifics of the allegations.

The incidents were the second and third among civilian department employees.

In March, a polygraph operator was fired after a job applicant complained to police that he made sexually explicit remarks to her during an interview.

Anne Arundel's Police Department has been plagued by sexual misconduct charges for more than a year. Since February 1992, nine women have filed sexual harassment charges against five officers in the county.

After those complaints, Chief Russell ordered all employees to participate in a three-hour training session at the police academy in Davidsonville.

In the most recent incidents, narcotics officers have been accused of having sex with their informants both on and off duty. Departmental regulations forbid fraternization with informants.

The department's Internal Affairs Unit is still investigating the allegations, Sergeant Howes said.

In another case, a woman who claimed a former county police officer raped her during a traffic stop filed a $70 million suit three months ago alleging police were so tolerant of sexual harassment that it endangered women throughout the county.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.