Benjamin J. KingOwned King's Tree FarmsBenjamin J. King...

OBITUARIES

June 09, 1993|By Staff Report

Benjamin J. King

Owned King's Tree Farms

Benjamin J. King, owner of King's Tree Farms, a nursery in Hampstead, died Sunday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center of injuries sustained earlier that day in a one-car accident in northern Baltimore County.

He was 83 and lived at the Hampstead farm.

In 1958, he started the nursery and a sheep farming operation that he ended after several years.

In 1985, he received a patent for a Chinese elm, called King's Choice, which grows rapidly and is disease-resistant, and has been used to replace American elms killed by Dutch elm disease.

The native of Three Rivers, Mich., graduated from Harvard College in 1931.

Before he started the nursery, he held a number of jobs. He was a printing executive with the Research Institute of America, operated family orchards in Dutchess County, N.Y., and worked for a book publishing subsidiary of the Hearst Corp., a media conglomerate in Sandusky, Ohio.

After moving to the Baltimore area in the mid-1950s, he worked for an insurance agency in Baltimore and Annapolis. He then started his own business selling group insurance to college students through student organizations. He continued that business after starting the nursery.

He was a member of the Maryland Nurserymen's Association.

A memorial service for Mr. King was to be conducted at 2 p.m. today at the farm at 4600 Millers Station Road in Hampstead.

His first marriage, to the former Lydia White, ended in divorce. His second wife, the former Dorothy Driscoll, died in 1987.

His survivors include two daughters, Jennifer Culhane Curran of London, England, and Eloise King of Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Dr. William A. Rinn

Retired psychiatrist

Dr. William A. Rinn, a retired psychiatrist who had been director of psychiatric services for Bon Secours Hospital and Associated Catholic Charities, died Sunday of heart failure at St. Joseph Hospital.

Dr. Rinn, who was 79 and lived in the Ridgely Condominiums in Towson, retired from private practice eight years ago.

He was director of psychiatric services at Bon Secours from 1965 until 1979 and at Catholic Charities from 1952 until 1982. In the early 1970s, he was a consultant to the Marriage Tribunal of the Archdiocese of Baltimore.

He was a lecturer at the Catholic University of America nursing school and at the Seton Institute, where he served on the staff from 1964 to 1969. He was also a staff psychiatrist at the Baltimore County Detention Center.

Dr. Rinn was a life fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and held memberships in the Maryland Psychiatric Society and the Baltimore County Medical Society.

Born in Baltimore, he was educated at St. Charles College, the Catholic University of America, where he earned bachelor's and master's degrees. He got his medical degree at Georgetown University.

He interned at Marine Hospital in Baltimore and had psychiatric residencies at the Seton Institute and at the state's Spring Grove Hospital Center.

He appeared on a series of programs on religion and psychiatry on WBAL-TV and had been a member of the Maryland Crime Investigating Committee.

He was a former president of the Georgetown University Alumni Club of Baltimore and the Baltimore Chapter of the Catholic University of America Alumni Association. He received Georgetown's John Carroll Award in 1984.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Ware and Baltimore avenues in Towson.

Dr. Rinn is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Loeffler; three daughters, Mary Beth Smolev of Stevenson, Peggy Dietz of Pittsburgh and Patricia Rinn of Chevy Chase; a son, Michael G. Rinn of Cockeysville; and eight grandchildren.

Joseph McDonald Sr.

Retired machinist

Joseph J. McDonald Sr., a retired machinist and former gas station owner, died Sunday at Good Samaritan Hospital of complications of pneumonia.

Mr. McDonald, who was 77 and lived on Lawrence Hill Road in Perry Hall, retired in 1981 from the Koppers Co., where he was active in the International Association of Machinists.

Before starting his 18-year career at Koppers, he had owned the Hamilton American station on Harford Road since the mid-1950s.

L Earlier, he worked in stations owned by the American Oil Co.

A native of Old Forge, Pa., and a graduate of Pittston (Pa.) High School, he moved to Baltimore in the early 1940s and worked for what was then the Glenn L. Martin Co.

His wife, the former Margaret Noone, died a year ago.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 8420 Belair Road in Fullerton.

He is survived by two sons, Joseph J. McDonald Jr. of Ellicott City and Vincent R. McDonald of Perry Hall; and a granddaughter.

Eugene W. Holland, 87, was a Chesapeake Bay pilot

Eugene W. Holland, a retired Chesapeake Bay pilot, died Saturday of pneumonia at a hospital in Tucson, Ariz.

Mr. Holland -- who was 87 and was known as "Buck" -- moved to Arizona in 1966, the same year he retired as a pilot.

Born and raised in the Bel Air area, he began his apprenticeship with the Maryland Pilots Association at the age of 17.

When the Coast Guard took over piloting during World War II, he guided ships up and down the bay with the rank of commander.

In 1927, he married May Ihrie Leary, and they lived in Roland Park and Homeland before moving to Arizona. Mrs. Holland died in 1966.

A memorial service was to be held at 10:30 today at Grace St. Pauls Episcopal Church in Tucson.

Mr. Holland is survived by his wife, the former Marie Dolores Goday; two daughters, Jean H. White and Anne H. Rogers, both of Towson; five grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.