Davis' season likely ended by broken jaw Injury apparently from punch outside Va. Beach nightclub

June 08, 1993|By Jerry Bembry and Milton Kent | Jerry Bembry and Milton Kent,Staff Writers Staff writer Ken Rosenthal contributed to this article.

What was supposed to be a relaxing evening in Virginia Beach, Va., for three teammates resulted in a broken jaw for Glenn Davis -- and likely ended Davis' troubled season.

Davis, whose struggles with the Orioles this season led to his reassignment with the Triple-A Rochester Red Wings, underwent surgery at 3 p.m. yesterday in Norfolk, Va., after his jaw was broken, apparently by a punch from a nightclub bouncer late Sunday night. Kevin Harmon, the Red Wings trainer, said Davis' jaw was broken in two places and is expected to be wired shut for six to eight weeks.

"Characteristically, a person in that position loses weight," Bob Miscik, manager of the Red Wings, told the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot. "He's probably out most of the year, if not all of the year."

The incident occurred Sunday night, shortly after Davis and teammates Randy Ready and Mark Parent had dinner together at a restaurant across the street from the hotel where the Red Wings were staying for their series with the Norfolk Tides. At about 10:30 p.m., the three, looking for a place to play pool, took a cab to the Club Rogues in Virginia Beach.

There were pool tables at the club, but the players never sat down. They said they left because it was too noisy and crowded. While waiting for a cab outside the club, the three were told not to stand outside by one of the club's bouncers.

"They were escorting me off the premises, and I was going along with it," Ready told the Virginian-Pilot. "It was peaceful. We were waiting for a cab. The next thing I knew, I heard someone say Glenn was hit."

Miscik said that when Davis asked if it was necessary for the bouncer to escort Ready, the bouncer hit Davis.

"He was slugged. He got caught in the middle while being a peacemaker," Miscik, who was not at the scene, told the Norfolk newspaper. "He did nothing to warrant it. It was senseless."

Virginia Beach police spokesman Mike Carey confirmed that the incident occurred, but said no charges were filed, the Virginian-Pilot reported.

And it seems to have ended the troubled season of a player who was once one of baseball's most feared power hitters. But since arriving in Baltimore in 1991, Davis has experienced nothing but injury and disappointment.

Davis became the target of impatient Baltimore fans this season after hitting .177 with one home run. On May 27, team officials asked Davis to accept a temporary assignment to Rochester.

Davis agreed to report with the promise that he would return to the Orioles after 20 games. Instead, after also struggling with Rochester (.222, 2-for-9 with five strikeouts), Davis might find that his season is over.

"He finally gets a break, and it's a bad break," Orioles manager Johnny Oates said last night. "Things like this happen. But any time it happens, it's unexpected.

Parent, before last night's game against Norfolk, told the Virginian-Pilot that he and Ready were trying to provide a diversion for Davis.

"We were trying to give him some company and be a friend to him," Parent said. "I've known Glenn for 12 years. I knew he probably hasn't been having too much fun lately. We thought we'd get him out and talk about some of the things he's going through."

Oakland Athletics pitcher Storm Davis, with whose family Glenn Davis lived while a teen-ager, said: "He's definitely had a rough go at it. I'm praying for him, I know that. I'm concerned for his health physically and emotionally.

"I pray that he'll heal quickly and go from there. Right now, baseball is really immaterial. He's got to get well again."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.