Robbers come back for seconds

June 02, 1993|By Roger Twigg and David Michael Ettlin | Roger Twigg and David Michael Ettlin,Staff Writers

Tellers at two Baltimore banks were accosted yesterday by familiar robbers -- men who, according to the police, were believed to have held up the same banks last week.

Two other bank holdups occurred in Baltimore County yesterday, one of them by a pair of bandits who walked into a shopping mall bank office and startled customers and employees by leaping onto and over the tellers' counter.

The robberies began in the city about 9 a.m. when an unarmed man about 25 years old walked into a Bank of Baltimore branch in the 100 block of E. Baltimore St. and handed a teller a note, police said.

The holdup man -- believed to have robbed the same bank on Friday -- was given an undisclosed sum and a dye pack that exploded as he left the bank. Red-stained clothing was found behind another building on Baltimore Street, police said.

At 11:20 a.m., a man walked into a Maryland National branch in the 200 block of W. Cold Spring Lane and handed a teller a metal strongbox and a note demanding cash, police said.

The man -- believed to have robbed the same bank on May 24 -- fled on foot with an undisclosed sum. He was described as black with a medium complexion, 20 to 25 years old, 5 feet 5 inches tall, 140 to 160 pounds and wearing green baggy shorts, a green shirt and black tennis shoes.

Police said the man may have robbed one of the county banks, a Maryland National branch in the 2300 block of Smith Ave.

Witnesses said a man carrying a charcoal-colored cash box held up a teller at that bank 1:39 p.m., handing over a note "which implied he had a weapon if there was a dye pack," police said. When the teller handed over small amounts, he repeatedly demanded, "Twenties, twenties, twenties."

Several witnesses told police the man seemed to have a speech problem, either a raspy voice or stuttering. He was described as black, 25 to 30, no taller than 5 feet 5 inches, 130 to 150 pounds, with short black hair, wearing a white baseball cap, a blue and green shirt and blue jeans.

The best witness in the other holdup, at 12:44 p.m. in the Towson Marketplace branch of Maryland National in the 1200 block of Putty Hill Ave., may have been the man who drove the robbers there, police said.

The man said he was offered money to drive three men to the shopping center and that he waited outside with one of them while the others went inside. He said the men were running back with a bag when he saw a dye-pack explode and tried to get out of the car with his keys.

He said he was grabbed and that two of the men fled with his keys and his burgundy Nissan while the other ran away. The car owner said he was left on the lot and never got paid for the ride.

The getaway car was spotted by county police detectives, who followed it south on York Road into Baltimore but lost the robbers when they "bailed out" in an alley behind the 5200 block of Craig Ave.

Witnesses inside the bank told police that two holdup men jumped onto and over the tellers' counter, and that both of them unwittingly scooped dye packs along with cash from the drawers before fleeing the same way they entered -- through the shopping mall.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.