John W. HranickaShipyard workerJohn W. Hranicka, a retired...

OBITUARIES

May 28, 1993

John W. Hranicka

Shipyard worker

John W. Hranicka, a retired civilian employee at the Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay, died Wednesday of heart failure at his home on Doris Avenue in Brooklyn Park, Anne Arundel County. He was 77.

He retired in 1982 after working for about 10 years in the iron and steel fabricating shop at the Coast Guard Yard.

Earlier, he worked for 25 years as a heavy construction equipment operator for John J. Franklin & Sons.

The Baltimore native served in the Army during World War II.

Services for Mr. Hranicka were to be conducted at 9:45 a.m. today at the Townsend Avenue Baptist Church, 4200 Townsend Ave. in the Brooklyn area of Baltimore.

Mr. Hranicka is survived by his wife, the former Mary E. Poole; two sons, Al Hranicka of Glen Burnie and Mark Hranicka of Baltimore; a sister, Mildred Vasicek of Brooklyn Park; and five grandchildren.

L. H. Eichelberger Jr.

Bethlehem supervisor

Lewis H. Eichelberger Jr., a retired supervisor of cost and material control at the Sparrows Point plant of Bethlehem Steel Corp., died of cancer May 15 at his home in White Hall.

Mr. Eichelberger, who was 82, retired in 1976. He lived on a 180-acre farm.

He had worked at Sparrows Point since 1936 after a brief period as a mechanical engineer for the Santa Fe Railroad in New Mexico and Texas.

A native of Baltimore, he was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and of Lehigh University. He also did graduate work at Columbia University and the Johns Hopkins University, and earned a master's degree in business administration at Harvard University.

Known in his youth as Hay and at Sparrows Point as Ike, he was Tex at Harvard and Timmy to friends and family members.

His wife, the former Dorothy E. Callahan, died in 1989.

He is survived by two sons, Lewis H. Eichelberger III and Frederick Steuart Eichelberger, both of White Hall; two daughters, Maury Eichelberger Beam and Katherina Eichelberger Tyrell, both of White Hall; a brother, William Baldwin Eichelberger of Venice, Fla.; and seven grandchildren.

Services were private.

Robert E. Johnston

Bethlehem executive

Robert E. Johnston, retired vice president for steel operations of the Bethlehem Steel Corp. and a former executive at the company's Sparrows Point plant, died Tuesday of cancer at his home in St. Michaels.

Mr. Johnston, who was 71, moved to the Eastern Shore from Bethlehem, Pa., after his retirement in 1982.

He had become vice president for manufactured steel products when he left Sparrows Point in 1972 and became head of all steel making in 1977.

He had been at Sparrows Point since 1956, serving first as assistant plant industrial engineer and then as assistant general manager.

Born in Johnstown, Pa., he was reared there and in Cumberland and earned a chemical engineering degree at the University of Pittsburgh. He later completed the advanced management program at the Harvard Business School.

He had started working as a laborer in Bethlehem's Johnstown plant in the summer while still in school and joined its management trainee program in 1942.

Before coming to Sparrows Point, he had also worked in plants in Lackawanna, N.Y., and Steelton, Pa.

He was a member of the Miles River Yacht Club and a former commander of the Miles River Power Squadron, for which he taught weather courses.

He is survived by his wife, the former Nancy Jane Pyle; two sons, Michael Johnston of Del Rio, Texas, and Lawrence Johnston of Monkton; two daughters, Susan Lindbeck of Upperco and Martha Johnston of Baltimore; his mother, Anna Johnston of Easton; and three grandchildren.

Services were private. The family suggested donations to the Talbot Hospice Foundation in Easton.

John W. Noble Sr.

Retired car dealer

John W. Noble Sr., a retired automobile dealer who was active in community affairs in the Easton area, died May 14 of cancer at the William Hill Health Care Center there. He was 96.

He began his career in the automobile business after Army service following World War I, buying the Preston Motor Co. He operated the business for nine years before selling it and buying the Eastern Shore Auto Co. in Easton.

He changed the company's name to Noble Motors and then to Noble Ford, and was its president until 1967.

He had also owned the Noble Farm Equipment Co. and Noble Motor Rebuilders, and been a partner in Standard Auto Supply of Easton. Later, he was vice president of Noble Cars in Fredericksburg, Va., which is headed by a son.

In the 1930s and 1940s, he was president of the Chamber of Commerce, chairman of the Choptank River Bridge Commission, chairman of the Talbot County Taxpayers League, chairman of Red Cross and War Bond drives and civil defense director, a post he also held in 1954.

In the 1950s and 1960s, he was chairman of the Delmarva Poultry Festival, of a United Fund campaign and of a drive to modernize and expand Memorial Hospital of Easton. He also headed the Citizen's Commission for the Preservation of Colonial Talbot.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.