Baysox get some major-league help Devereaux, Baines assist in 4-3 win

May 26, 1993|By Kent Baker | Kent Baker,Staff Writer

The "names" came equipped with no-name Bowie Baysox jerseys at Memorial Stadium yesterday, but everyone in the small but spirited crowd of 1,270 knew who they were.

The Orioles' Mike Devereaux and Harold Baines both realized the first goal of their rehabilitation assignments -- to swing the bat without pain -- as the Baysox rallied to edge the Albany-Colonie Yankees, 4-3, on Gregg Zaun's run-scoring, two-out single in the bottom of the ninth.

If all goes well again in today's 3:35 p.m. series finale, Devereaux and Baines probably will be back with the Orioles at Yankee Stadium tomorrow night.

Devereaux had the better success (2-for-4) at the plate, doubling home the first Bowie run with a shot down the left-field line and beating out an infield chopper to the left side in his first two at-bats.

Baines was hitless in three official trips with a walk, but hit a 3-0 pitch to the warning track in left in the first inning and twice advanced Devereaux on the bases with that fly ball and a grounder.

"I feel no pain. It's a matter of getting some at-bats," said Devereaux, who suffered a partial separation of his left shoulder May 2 while diving for a fly ball.

"I had been doing enough that I knew I could swing the bat and miss, check swing and everything else and be OK. I took extra batting practice Monday and they [the Orioles] realized I wasn't holding back."

In his first exposure to game-type pitching in three weeks since he pulled rib-cage muscle, Baines said "the main objective was no pain.

"You definitely want to hit the ball well, but first you want to feel right. I'm not happy with the results, but I felt I got some good swings. It was fine."

Baysox manager Don Buford said he detected no real problems with either player.

"Devo should be ready to go after a few more at-bats. He ran very well so his legs are fine," said Buford. "Baines hasn't hit in three weeks, but he drove that ball to left field. If the wind hadn't been blowing across, it might have gone out.

"I would imagine they'll be ready for the West Coast [Friday] or before."

Devereaux was happy to get back on the field, especially this field. "It was nice coming back here," he said of Memorial Stadium. "But it's kind of weird to see so few people in the stands in such a big place."

This was an important game for the Baysox, who had lost four straight, their longest streak of the year, and had dropped to fourth place in the Eastern League.

"Deep inside, our guys want to prove things to guys like Mike and Harold," said Zaun. "They want to earn their respect. You could sense the club was in a little lull and this helped pick it up."

Behind their ace, Jason Satre, the Baysox (22-16) led 2-1 most of the way, but Zaun committed a costly passed ball in the eighth that put two Albany runners into scoring position.

"That was my fault all the way," said Zaun. "A slider backed up on me and I lost concentration."

With Chuck Ricci on the mound in relief of Satre, Jalal Leach singled home both runners with two out to put Bowie behind for the first time since the top of the first inning.

In the bottom half, a double by Brad Tyler and a single by Jim Wawruck tied the score after Wawruck had failed to sacrifice.

Albany (21-16) then went to its closer, Rich Polak, who walked Stanton Cameron with one out in the ninth, then balked pinch runner Kyle Washington to second with Zaun at the plate.

On Zaun's single to left, Lyle Mouton might have had a shot at the plate, but dropped the ball as he started to throw.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.