Friends puts Park away for B title, 9-5 Boys lacrosse

May 22, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Beating the same team three times in a season can be difficult, but the Friends School boys lacrosse team made it look easy yesterday afternoon at UMBC.

Friends allowed Park School to score the first goal Boys lacrosse

and then the Quakers scored the next five before claiming a 9-5 victory and the Maryland Scholastic B Conference championship.

"We were concerned coming in here because we had already beaten them twice and we didn't know how we were going to do," said senior attackman Spencer Deering, who finished with a team-high three goals. "But, we have a lot of seniors on this team and we were really pumped up because we all wanted to go out with a bang."

Park, which lost to the Quakers by scores of 7-3 and 8-5, found the net first just 1:55 into the contest on the first of four goals by senior attackman Matt Weiner. Senior midfielder David Elliott ended the Quakers' scoring woes with an unassisted goal with 4:45 left in the quarter, tying the score at 1-1.

"We did all we could do to beat a good team a third time and Park is a good team," said Friends coach Jon Garman. "I felt in the first quarter we were very tentative and nervous and I was just trying to wait it out."

Two goals by senior attackman Chris Baughman put Friends (11-1) ahead 3-1 with 6:36 left in the half and single goals by Deering and senior attackman Andy Devlin widened the margin to four goals with 3:36 remaining in the period.

Senior Brendan D'Anna took some of the sting out of the second quarter for Park when he scored an extra-man goal to cut the halftime lead to 5-2.

The two teams exchanged goals in the third quarter with senior Max Everett scoring for Friends and Weiner returning the favor on an extra-man opportunity.

Friends keeper Mike Fine (13 saves) helped preserve the lead with four critical third-quarter saves and defenseman Ben Thompson, Ed Simermeyer and Jed Freedlander did all they could playing most of the period in a man-down situation.

Park pulled to within two on two occasions in the fourth quarter before Deering and Everett added goals to return the margin to three. Deering delivered the final blow with 1:11 remaining.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.