Broadneck reacts in time, beats Severna Park, 6-4 Boys lacrosse

May 20, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Having watched his team yield a combined nine goals in th fourth quarters of its past two games, Broadneck coach Clay White challenged his seventh-ranked Bruins to play four quarters in their matchup last night against Severna Park.

White was not disappointed.

The Bruins (14-1) fell behind early, but regrouped to exploit the Falcons' zone defense and claim a 6-4 victory in the Class 4A-3A, Region IV final at Anne Arundel Community College.

"We were real upset with our mental mistakes on defense against Annapolis, and I felt we corrected those tonight," said White, whose team advanced to the region final by defeating Annapolis, 10-9.

"The close defense came back to play. We talked a lot about keeping our poise, and I think we did that."

The defending state champion Bruins, who defeated the Falcons, 9-5, during the regular season, scored first when sophomore attackman John Lengyel followed up a shot by teammate Dave Frederick with 3:46 left in the first quarter.

Severna Park answered with two unassisted goals by Steve Roop and Mark Frye to take a 2-1 lead into the second quarter.

Broadneck's attack woke up in the second quarter and scored three goals in just more than two minutes. Senior midfielder Rob Eckman started the spree with an unassisted goal at the 8:48 mark and Frederick regained the lead for the Bruins on a feed from junior attackman Bobby Hanna with 8:04 left.

Seven seconds later, the Bruins went ahead 4-2 when senior attackman Jay Hull won the faceoff and took it to the goal before passing to senior attackman Matt Ploss for the successful one-on-one opportunity against Severna Park's senior goalkeeper Matt Pugh (12 saves).

The Falcons (10-5) pulled to 4-3 near the end of the half when Owen Glister scored on a pass from Roop in an extra-man situation.

The third quarter belonged the Bruins. Senior attackman Jeremy Ogus put Broadneck ahead by two on an assist from Ploss and Lengyel added an unassisted goal with 3:27 left in the period to make it 6-3.

Dave Livingston brought Severna Park back to two behind with 7:59 remaining, but that was the last time the Falcons would get it past Broadneck goalkeeper Sam Peterson (11 saves).

"We had our opportunities to score, but we just couldn't put it in," said Severna Park coach Ed Ulrich, whose team was edged in shots 22-21.

"I thought we played great defense, but we just couldn't finish in second half. Broadneck is a good team, and you have to play well to beat a good team."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.