Dan Duva said yesterday he would "call the bluff" of rival promoter Rock Newman and step aside to allow Lennox Lewis to accept a $12 million offer to fight heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe at Caesars Palace on Nov. 5.
But Kathy Duva, Dan Duva's wife and spokeswoman for Main Events Inc., suggested Newman had made a "bogus offer," because Bowe already was committed to a rematch with Evander Holyfield on Nov. 12 in Las Vegas.
Duva, who serves as a promoter for Lewis, said Newman should make the offer directly to the World Boxing Council champion, who returned to England after his unimpressive 12-round victory over Tony Tucker in Las Vegas last Saturday.
But Duva added that any time the Bowe-Lewis fight becomes a reality, he still would exercise his option as a co-promoter of Bowe in gaining a share of the pay-per-view revenues.
Bowe is in Washington completing training for his second defense against Jesse Ferguson at RFK Stadium next Saturday. Bowe trashed his WBC belt last year after failing to heed an ultimatum to make Lewis his first defense. But Bowe still retains his International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Association titles.