Preservation projects receive $85,000 in grants

REAL ESTATE NOTES

May 09, 1993|By Edward Gunts | Edward Gunts,Staff Writer

Preservation Maryland, the state's oldest preservation organization, awarded more than $85,000 worth of grants this spring to help fund four preservation projects. They are:

* Union Square Association: A $25,000 loan and a $3,000 grant to help launch efforts to save a row of derelict buildings on West Baltimore Street at the gateway to the Union Square historic district.

* Historic Easton Inc.: a $25,000 loan to assist with the restoration of the fire-damaged Easton Railroad Station, which will become the new home of Chesapeake Wildlife Heritage Inc.

* Somerset County Historical Trust: guarantee of a one-year bridge loan to aid in acquiring Brittingham House, a long-vacant, early-19th century dwelling in the Princess Anne National Register Historic District.

* Hampton National Historic Site in Towson: three grants totaling $12,300 for repairs to the Ridgely harp, garden urn restoration and re-creation of historic garden paths.

Since January, Preservation Maryland has committed more than $100,000 in loans and grants through its revolving fund loan pool, which provides funds for preservation projects in exchange for easements protecting historic resources.

Grants are awarded to nonprofit groups for a variety of purposes, from emergency repairs to case stud ies. Other recipients include St. Martin's Church in Worcester County, Prince George's Heritage Inc., the Hammond-Harwood House Association and Port Annapolis in Annapolis, and the Montgomery County Historical Society.

Family Place

A joint venture of Savannah Development Corp., headed by Bettyjean Murphy, and St. Ambrose Housing Aid Center has been hired to coordinate conversion of Baltimore's former Northeastern District police station at 1809 Ashland Ave. to a $1.4 million family support center called Family Place.

The owner and occupant will be The Family Life Foundation Inc., a 4-year-old nonprofit organization committed to improving the quality of life in the city's Middle East neighborhood. Point Three, a new design firm headed by James Arnold, is the project architect.

The General Assembly allocated $500,000 for the project last month, bringing the foundation to within $100,000 of its fund-raising goal. Preliminary construction work has begun on the 1885 building.

Charlestown Community

Retirement & Health Services, developer of the Charlestown Retirement Community at 703 Maiden Choice Lane, has changed its name to Senior Campus Living.

President John Erickson said the name was changed to better reflect the company's mission of providing retirement housing and life-care services "in an active and secure campus atmosphere."

Charlestown's latest addition is Cross Creek, a 570-unit section that brings to 1,614 the number of residences at the 110-acre campus. Charlestown also recently opened a conference hall at 719 Maiden Choice Lane that can accommodate groups of up to 1,000 people.

Around the region

* Interior designer Clodagh will speak at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baltimore Museum of Art as part of the 1993 Spring Lecture Series sponsored by the Baltimore chapter of the American Institute of Architects. The cost is $10.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.