No. 4 McDonogh wins pitchers' duel, 3-0 Eagles' Cloude stops No. 7 Loyola Baseball

April 30, 1993|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,Contributing Writer

The last time mound aces Kenny Cloude of No. 4 McDonogh and Eric Frankovic of No. 7 Loyola met head-to-head on the baseball diamond, they abandoned their usual repertoires to throw just one kind of pitch.


Both lineups tattooed the normally reliable hurlers in a game that saw Loyola win, 12-10.

Yesterday, however, in a battle for playoff position in the Maryland Scholastic Association Armstrong Conference A League, it was back to business as usual.

Each was at his best, pitching six scoreless innings before the Eagles' Ian Hendricks broke the deadlock with a three-run homer to give visiting McDonogh a 3-0 win.

"They were just ripping everything I was throwing last time," Cloude, The Baltimore Sun's 1992 Player of the Year, said of the first meeting earlier this month at McDonogh. "This time I was getting ahead in the count and making them hit my pitch.

"We wanted to get these guys back."

Cloude looked nearly unhitable at times, going the distance and allowing just three hits and striking out 10. He used his fastball to get ahead in the count, then put batters away with a vicious curve.

He struck out the side in order using just 11 pitches in the second, and four more in the next two innings. Six of his 10 strikeouts came on called third strikes.

"I kept on telling these guys that they'd have to swing on the first two pitches," said Loyola coach Dave

McCann, whose team dropped to 6-4 overall and 5-4 in the league. "After two strikes you don't know what it will be. We didn't act on that enough. We weren't swinging."

Frankovic, however, was equally effective through six, keeping McDonogh (10-2, 9-1) off balance with an assortment of off-speed pitches, including a knuckleball.

Though retiring the side in order only once, in the first, Frankovic kept the Eagles scoreless by surviving jams in the second and sixth innings.

McDonogh stranded three runners in scoring position in those innings, and Andrew Osborne was thrown out at home in the second on a fielder's choice to the shortstop.

The Eagles finally hit broke through in the seventh.

Dennis Badham reached on an error to lead off the inning, and Vikas Varma followed with an infield single. Then, with two outs, Hendricks smacked Frankovic's knuckler down the left-field line and into the trees, inches fair, for a three-run homer.

"I was just able to get around on it," said Hendricks, who added that he waited for the umpire to call it fair before celebrating. "To tell you the truth, I though it was going foul."

The win evened the season series at one apiece, and if things go as planned, their third meeting could come in next month's MSA playoffs.

For McDonogh coach Al Poklemba, however, yesterday's game had as much meaning as any playoff game.

"I wanted to make sure we were mentally prepared for this game after what happened last time," said Poklemba. "I told them the other day, 'This one's for me.' "

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.