Man in Cockeysville assault sentenced Ex-con from Iowa gets 25 years BALTIMORE COUNTY

April 30, 1993|By Sheridan Lyons | Sheridan Lyons,Staff Writer

A 41-year-old Iowa man with a history of sex crimes drew 25-year-prison term yesterday for attempting to rape a 16-year-old girl at an outdoor gathering in Cockeysville last July -- and then trying to hire someone to kill her while he was awaiting trial in jail for the assault.

Ronald DeWayne Stevenson of Ashton, Iowa, pleaded guilty in February to assault with intent to rape and solicitation to commit murder.

Baltimore County Circuit Judge J. William Hinkel imposed the maximum possible sentence under the terms of a plea bargain agreed to by the prosecution and the defense -- 25 years on the murder solicitation charge, according to Assistant Public Defender John J. Henderson. The charge usually carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Assistant State's Attorney John P. Cox said Stevenson offered a fellow inmate at the Baltimore County Detention Center $5,000 to kill the girl in August, but the man went instead to the authorities.

An undercover police officer then posed as a hit-man to record the offer to kill the girl, which Stevenson said he made because she "could put me away for a long time."

Stevenson also sent a letter outlining various ways he could pay for the hit, such as selling his car or mortgaging his property in Iowa.

The assault occurred July 8 near St. David Court and a creek off Warren Road, where the girl was attending an outdoor party, Mr. Cox said.

The victim's boyfriend had been teasing her and she became annoyed and went off alone. Stevenson, recently arrived from Iowa, followed the girl and began tearing at her clothing until he was interrupted by her friends, who came running in response to her screams, the prosecutor said. Stevenson fled to Pennsylvania but returned the next day and was arrested.

Stevenson previously served time for a 1970 rape conviction in Osceola, Iowa, and for a criminal sexual misconduct conviction in Worthington, Minn., in 1977, Mr. Cox said. He was released from prison in 1984.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.