Mt. Hebron tops St. Mary's, 13-9 streak reaches 29 Girls lacrosse

April 29, 1993|By Tom Worgo | Tom Worgo,Contributing Writer

No. 1 Mount Hebron (11-0) scored four unanswered goals to open the second half en route to a 13-9 girls lacrosse victory against No. 7 St. Mary's yesterday at Weems Whalen Field in Annapolis.

The Vikings pushed their winning streak to 29. Mount Hebron's last loss was to Loch Raven in the 1991 state semifinals.

"We were bringing the ball down and turning it over in the first half," Mount Hebron coach P. J. Kesmodel said of yesterday's game. "We rushed our passing, and we tried to create something when there was nothing. But we settled down and ran our offense. We knew we could score on attack."

Three players accounted for the Vikings' scoring. Cathy Nelson had five goals, and All-Metro midfielder Lori Pasquantonio and Erin McGinnis contributed four goals each. McGinnis added two assists.

The Saints (8-3), who had won three straight, got two goals in the first half from Merri Kennedy, who had entered the game with 33 goals in 10 games, but the senior was scoreless in the second half. St. Mary's Missy Holmes had two goals, and teammate Julie Kuehn added a goal and two assists.

St. Mary's opened the scoring less a minute into play, when Kuehn lobbed a pass in front to Kennedy, who batted the ball past Ali True (15 saves). Meghan Coakley added an unassisted score 4:24 later to give St. Mary's a 2-0 advantage.

Mount Hebron answered with three consecutive goals, two by Pasquantonio, during the next 2:17.

With the Vikings leading 5-3 about 15 minutes into the game, St. Mary's scored two goals over six minutes, one on a free-position shot by Holmes and the other by Elizabeth Schaffner on a feed from Kuehn.

The Vikings regained the lead at 6-5 with 2:23 remaining in the half, as Pasquantonio stormed from behind the goal and beat goalie Anedra Wiseman.

"I certainly think we are able to play with them, and I am proud of the way we played," said St. Mary's coach Tina Lewnes, whose team held a 13-9 advantage in shots and 23-21 edge in ground balls at the half. "We were moving to the goal well in the first half."

Mount Hebron opened the second half with a flurry, scoring four goals, including two by Nelson, in the first 8:04 to take a 10-5 lead.

After exchanging goals, the Saints trimmed the deficit to 11-7 with about five minutes remaining on a unassisted score from Holmes.

The Vikings added a goal to boost their lead to 12-7 with 2:32 remaining, but St. Mary's countered in the next 1 1/2 minutes to cut the lead to 12-9. The second goal came from Krissy Zurfluh, as she rushed in from midfield and beat True.

"I think we played real well and hustled," Kennedy said. "In the second half, I think we were trying to force everything because we trailed."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.