Boy, 14, arrested in alleged rape of girl at South Carroll High School

April 29, 1993|By Staff Report

A 14-year-old Mount Airy boy has been arrested and charged as a juvenile with the alleged Monday rape of a student at South Carroll High.

Maryland State Police, who took the youth into custody at his home about 6:30 p.m. yesterday, withheld his name because of his age.

They said he has been charged with delinquency in connection with the alleged attack and a sexual assault on another person in Mount Airy last August. They noted that the 1992 attack did not occur on public school property.

Authorities from the Criminal Investigation Division, Child Abuse Sexual Assault Unit, which includes state police and investigators from the Carroll County state's attorney's office, said the teen-ager also is a suspect in other sexual assaults.

The boy was expected to be turned over to the Juvenile Services Administration, police said.

State police were called by school officials after a 16-year-old South Carroll High student reported she was raped in a stairwell in the school building shortly before noon Monday.

The girl told school officials she was sexually assaulted by a male student with whom she was acquainted, police said.

First Sgt. Donald Hoffman, of the state police Westminster Barracks, said officers questioned the suspect Tuesday after the girl's complaint.

South Carroll High School Principal David Booz and other public school officials declined to comment on the attack. Mr. Booz said the school was taking steps to deal with the incident, but he declined to specify what was being done.

In an unrelated case three years ago at Westminster High School, a 15-year-old student was charged with second-degree rape, second- and fourth-degree sexual offenses, and assault and battery after he was accused of raping a 14-year-old freshman acquaintance.

The accuser in that case said she was walking with the youth on April 25, 1990 when he attacked her at the bottom of a stairwell while one boy acted as a lookout and another watched.

Rape charges were dropped about two months later, but the youth was found delinquent in juvenile court of performing a perverted act.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.