Park School backups step to the front in 7-3 win over Spalding Boys lacrosse

April 28, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

With his star player hampered by a sore shoulder and two of his starting defensemen in street clothes, Park School lacrosse coach Lucky Mallonee asked his sup-porting cast to pick up the slack in yesterday's matchup with Archbishop Spalding.

His request did not go unheeded.

After struggling with the basics in the first quarter, the Bruins regained the form that has put them atop the Maryland Scholastic Association B Conference standings, and defeated the Cavaliers, 7-3, at Park School.

"They came out in better shape than we were and they wanted it more," said Spalding first-year coach David Kraft, whose team fell to 1-3 in the league, 4-4 overall. "This is the same thing that happened to us last time. We had them tied at the half and they came out and out-played us in the second half again."

Park School (5-1, 4-0), which defeated Spalding, 3-1 early in the season, found itself down 2-1 in the first quarter following goals by Spalding's John Donohue and Anthony Mattera.

The Bruins tied the score 15 seconds into the second quarter when senior attackman Brendan D'Anna scooped up the ground ball on the faceoff -- and to the surprise of Mallonee -- rifled a shot past Cavaliers goalkeeper Steve Windsor.

"This is the sixth game of the season and I think Brendan has only taken like four shots," said Mallonee. "I got to him in practice yesterday and said, 'You have to shoot the ball for us.' "

Neither team could find the net in the remaining 9:45 of the second quarter, leaving the game tied at halftime, 2-2.

The Bruins took the lead for good 58 seconds into the third quarter when Matt Weiner scored an unassisted goal. Less than a minute later, Weiner fed junior Scott Snyder to give the hosts a 4-2 lead at the 8:11 mark.

An unassisted goal by D'Anna gave the Bruins a three-goal lead, but not for long, as Spalding answered with a goal from senior attackman Dan Wolf.

The fourth quarter was all Park School. The Bruins, who will face Friends in another key league matchup on Friday, took a 6-3 lead with 8:42 remaining on an unassisted goal by Weiner and closed out the scoring with an unassisted goal by Snyder.

"We just barely beat them last time we played them and it was early in the season so we knew that we really had to come out and explode on offense if we wanted to win," said D'Anna. "We had a bad first quarter, but we really picked it up after that."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.