No. 15 Severn springs upset on No. 5 St. Mary's Boys lacrosse

April 28, 1993|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff Writer

Music was blaring in the locker room, and there wasn't a Severn player who hadn't been hugged or high-fived as he walked off the field.

The Admirals didn't win a championship yesterday, but it sure seemed that way.

Senior attackman Jason Lonchar scored his sixth goal with 1:54 left in overtime to lead No. 15 Severn past No. 5 and visiting St. Mary's, 7-6, in a Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference game.

The Saints were a man down in overtime after Joe Keenan was called for holding. Severn's Dudley Dixon took a shot that went wide of the net, and Ryan Beard was denied by junior goalkeeper Jim Brown.

The Admirals' Rob Broseker then intercepted a pass near midfield and fed Dixon, who passed to Lonchar on the right side.

End of game.

"They never gave up," said Severn coach Mike Burnett, whose team faces No. 1 St. Paul's on Friday. "It's like the Army-Navy game for these kids. They played with a ton of emotion."

The year had been a disappointment for the Admirals (5-6, 3-6) before yesterday, "but a win over St. Mary's can make or break a season, so it definitely made our season," Lonchar said.

Dixon was the only other Severn player to score, when he fought off a St. Mary's defender and beat Brown to snap a 3-3 tie with 11 seconds remaining in the first half.

"It was just being in the right spot, and everyone was working together," Lonchar said. "The seniors wanted to come out and win this one. It's the last time we can beat St. Mary's, so we were all really fired up."

Severn senior Ben Harries made 13 saves, including two when the Saints had a three-man advantage.

"Everybody's been saying how bad our goalkeeper is, and he came up big today," Burnett said.

The Saints (7-4, 5-4) have lost three straight, and four of their last five. And they play No. 7 Mount St. Joseph Friday.

"Severn just beat us to ground balls and they made the opportunities when they had to," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead.

Senior Dominic Souza and junior Todd Vizcorrondo each had two goals for St. Mary's, which took its biggest lead, 6-4, less than a minute into the fourth quarter.

Lonchar then scooped up a ground ball in front of Brown and scored with 3:14 left, and he converted a pass from Broseker with 1:56 remaining to force overtime.

The Saints had wiped out a 4-3 halftime deficit when Vizcorrondo scored with seven minutes left in the third quarter. Severn's Dave LaChapelle was called for a slash, and St. Mary's junior Kevin Gattie netted his team's only man-advantage goal with 23 seconds left in the quarter.

Vizcorrondo stretched the lead to 6-4 when he bounced off a Severn defender and scored just 38 seconds into the fourth period.

4 St. Mary's appeared to have the game in control.

8, But the Saints couldn't control Lonchar.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.