Rangers top Jacks in OT, 4-3 Binghamton takes 3-2 series lead

April 27, 1993|By Doug Brown | Doug Brown,Staff Writer

Jean Yves-Roy's goal 11:15 into overtime gave the Binghamton Rangers a 4-3 victory over the Skipjacks last night in their AHL Southern Division playoff series.

Yves-Roy rifled the shot over Baltimore goalie Duane Derksen's right shoulder, giving Binghamton a three-games-to-two lead in the best-of-seven series.

The goal ended a stretch of 31 minutes, 25 seconds during which neither team scored. Craig Duncanson scored the goal that tied it at 3 with 10 seconds left in the second period.

The teams now head for Binghamton for Game 6 tomorrow night and, if necessary, Game 7 Friday night. Attendance dropped in each of the three playoff games at the Arena, from 1,653 Friday to 1,458 Saturday to 1,174 last night.

The game was the Skipjacks' 464th -- and possibly last -- at the Arena.

Only if they win the Binghamton series and advance to the next round will they play again here before the franchise is moved to Portland, Maine, for next season.

In 11 years in Baltimore, the Skipjacks have played 440 regular-season and 24 home playoff games.

For the second straight game, and third in the series, the Skipjacks played the favored Rangers on even terms. Binghamton, which set an AHL record with 57 regular-season wins, handled the Skipjacks easily in Games 2 and 3.

The Skipjacks inched out to a 1-0 lead 2:06 into the game on Mike Boback's goal. It was the second in two games for Boback, who finished the regular season tied with John Byce and Eric Murano in points with 79.

Only 11 of Boback's points during the season were goals. His goal in Saturday night's victory was his first since Feb. 21.

In the second period, the Skipjacks increased their lead to 2-0 on Jeff Greenlaw's goal.

After Binghamton's Mike Stevens coughed up the puck, the Skipjacks launched a three-on-one breakaway, with Greenlaw finishing with a shot into the upper right corner.

In a flash, the score was tied. Sergei Zubov and Steven King scored within 1:19.

Mark Hunter's goal gave Baltimore a 3-2 lead, but former Skipjack Craig Duncanson backhanded a shot past Derksen with 10 seconds remaining, tying it at 3.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.