Union Mills * Westminster * Sandymount * Finksburg


April 27, 1993

Rescuers discover car had been vandalized

Police and rescue workers who rushed to Liberty Reservoir yesterday found that the car in the water that prompted an emergency call was empty and vandalized.

The car was discovered about 11 a.m. in the water off Deer Park Road, on the Baltimore County side of the reservoir.

Rescue workers in wet suits and scuba gear used a small boat to cross the water from Carroll County to the Baltimore County side of the reservoir, where the empty car, a 1968 Ford, was.

Police said the car was registered to a man who had died several months ago, and the vehicle had been parked since then on Cockeys Mill Road.

Investigators were attempting to determine how the car got to the reservoir down a foot path and who may have put it there. Wires under the --board of the vehicle had been ripped out, police said.

Only about one foot of the roof was above the water line when the car was discovered, police said.


* Westminster: A resident of Baldwin Park Drive reported to police someone scratched the trunk of his vehicle while it was parked near his house on Friday. The damage is about $150.

Someone damaged the lock of a house on Robins Way in an attempt to enter the building on Sunday. The owner told police the damage is estimated at $40.

Two license plates, one front and one rear, were stolen from two cars in the city over the week-end, police were told. A Sycamore Street resident reported the front tag of his car, valued at $35, was taken on Friday. A Pennsylvania Avenue resident said the rear tag of her car was taken Sunday. The value is $33.


* Finksburg: Divers from the Gamber diving team assisted Baltimore County in checking a car that has gone in to Liberty Reservoir at 11 a.m. Monday. Units were out for 70 minutes.

* Westminster: Westminster filled in for Pleasant Valley, which was on a serious rescue call, for about an hour starting at 8:27 a.m. Monday.

Westminster responded for an auto fire on Route 140 at 6:24 p.m. Sunday. Units were out for 35 minutes.

Two trash bin fires on Monroe Street were discovered within five hours and both were extinguished by firefighters from the Westminster station. The first fire was reported at 11:51 p.m. Sunday and the second at 4:46 a.m. Monday morning.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.