Worn out, down, Terps lose, 18-10 Carolina cruises in ACC title game

April 26, 1993|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,Staff Writer

COLLEGE PARK -- Top-ranked North Carolina, using one of its famed stretch runs in the third quarter, scored six straight goals and defeated Maryland, 18-10, yesterday in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship at Byrd Stadium.

Maryland (3-5) will have to make a stretch run of its own in the next two weeks if the Terps are to make the 12-team field for the NCAA Division I playoffs. Maryland still has to play Virginia Military Institute, Towson State and UMBC.

North Carolina (12-1), which won its sixth straight ACC tournament title, sealed a first-round bye in the playoffs, which start May 16.

"I thought we played very well," said North Carolina coach Dave Klarmann, whose team will scrimmage against several club teams between now and the playoffs. "You need that in tournament conditions. We played everybody. I have nobody to yell at."

It was vintage North Carolina. The Tar Heels used four different midfields before nine minutes had expired. They used seven attackmen in the first period. Fourteen players scored at least one goal.

North Carolina ran Maryland down in the third period. The Terps pulled within 7-6 on a goal by Jay Pasko at the 13:50 mark of the third period, but then North Carolina just ran Maryland down.

The six-goal onslaught began when Tar Heels defenseman Steve Muir scored on a running shot a minute later. Then attackman John Webster scored with 9:10 remaining.

Junior attackman Gary Langhoff scored off the crease midway

through the period, and senior midfielder T. J. Shimaitis added another goal with 3:50 left. Steve Speers and Donnie McNichol followed with goals in the remaining time.

"I thought the extra day between games would help us out, but when we came out Saturday night for a walk-through, I looked in their eyes and they were so tired," Maryland coach Dick Edell said of his Terps, who beat Virginia, 9-8, in overtime Friday night. "I sent them back home.

"We tried to play a lot of people, but in some cases, we didn't have as much experience as they did and they exploited us," Edell added. "You've got to clear well against this team, and we felt if we could get the ball into the offensive zone, we could score. We had a lot of trouble clearing, and they kept possession. Sooner or later, they're going to score."

There was some consolation for Edell yesterday. His team was voted No. 11 in the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association poll. But that was before yesterday's loss.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.