Officers kill 2 in Baltimore County incidents High-speed chase assault case end in deaths

police slay 3 in 9 days

April 26, 1993|By Eric Siegel | Eric Siegel,Staff Writer

It was reported incorrectly in The Sun yesterday that Antonio Carlos Towns, who was fatally shot by a state trooper while being arrested Sunday, lived in Towson a few blocks from where he was killed. In fact, Mr. Towns lived in the Govans section of Baltimore City.

The Sun regrets the errors.

A state trooper's gunshot -- which authorities said was accidental -- killed a motorist who had been stopped in Towson after a high-speed chase in one of two fatal encounters between police officers and civilians yesterday in Baltimore County.

In the other incident, a Baltimore County officer shot and killed a man brandishing a gun during a domestic argument in Edgemere, police said.


The motorist -- 34-year-old Antonio Carlos Towns, of the 5200 block of Kenilworth Ave., Towson -- was stopped on Charles Street just south of the Baltimore Beltway after two state troopers had pursued his red 1987 Corvette at speeds up to 81 mph yesterday morning, police said.

The police alleged that Mr. Towns was resisting arrest by "tensing up" his body when Trooper Chad P. Hymel's gun inadvertently went off, fatally wounding him in the chest.

The second officer, Trooper Nicholas J. Over Jr., had begun pursuing Mr. Towns on Interstate 83 near Mount Carmel Road, said Cpl. J. Scott McCauley, a state police spokesman. But Trooper Over lost the Corvette a few miles south around Belfast Road when Mr. Towns slowed and moved to the shoulder, then gunned the car and took off, Corporal McCauley said.

He spotted the Corvette a few minutes later on Seminary Avenue in Towson, radioed for help and began a three-minute chase, Corporal McCauley said.

Troopers Over and Hymel "boxed in" Mr. Towns' car in the left southbound lane of Charles Street, just south of the Beltway, Corporal McCauley said. A Baltimore County police officer arrived in time to witness the shooting, he said.

The two troopers, with guns drawn, got out of their cars, as did Mr. Towns, Corporal McCauley said. As the troopers tried to get Mr. Towns down on the ground to take him into custody, he

resisted by "tensing up" his body, but did not strike or threaten either of the troopers, Corporal McCauley said.

That is when the gun discharged, he said. The man was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:40 a.m.

Mr. Towns, who lived a few blocks from where he was killed, had no criminal record and no weapons, drugs or alcohol were found in his car, Corporal McCauley said. He said he could provide no other details on Mr. Towns' background.

A woman reached at Mr. Towns' home late yesterday afternoon declined to provide any information. The woman, who identified herself only as Mr. Towns' sister-in-law, said only, "Right now, we don't want too much publicity on this. We've been unable to reach his mother."

Corporal McCauley said the "initial finding" of investigators was that the shooting was "purely accidental." But he stressed that the state police criminal investigation and internal affairs divisions would continue to probe the shooting.

In the meantime, Trooper Hymel, 27, a 5-year veteran of the force, was placed on routine administrative leave, Corporal McCauley said.

Trooper Over, 25, also a 5-year veteran, will remain on active police duty, Corporal McCauley said.

Mr. Towns' body was taken to the state medical examiner's office for an autopsy, Corporal McCauley said.

Bystanders who saw the chase described it as movie-like.

was like Burt Reynolds. I've never seen anybody drive like that," said Billy Irvin, 25, who said he saw part of the chase along Bellona Avenue and followed the sirens and helicopters to the scene of the shooting.

"He went by at 75 or 80 on two wheels," said Fred Kail, 56, who told of seeing part of the chase from his home near Bellona Avenue.

The incident involving the Baltimore County officer occurred around 2:20 a.m.

Responding to a complaint of a domestic assault, Officer Charles Volz arrived at a home in the 2400 block of Cooper Ave. in the Edgemere section of eastern Baltimore County to find a man waving a .32-caliber handgun, police said.

AThe man first threatened to kill himself and then pointed the gun at Officer Volz, who shot him once in the chest, police said.

The man, Marc Anthony Leonard, 31, died two hours later at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

His wife, Marnie Card Leonard, 24, was admitted to Francis Scott Key Medical Center with a broken jaw and other injuries that police said were inflicted by her husband.

Officer Volz, 36, is a 14-year veteran of the county police force.

He will be on routine leave until completion of the department's investigation, a police spokesman said.

Yesterday's shootings bring to three the number of people killed by lawmen in the last nine days. On April 17, a Baltimore City officer fatally shot a 14-year-old boy as he fled arrest as a car-theft suspect.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.