Big second-half surge sparks Loyola past Delaware, 12-7

April 25, 1993|By Marc Bouchard | Marc Bouchard,Contributing Writer

Playing less than 72 hours after an emotionally and physically draining loss to Johns Hopkins Wednesday night, eighth-ranked Loyola scored six unanswered goals in the second half to break away from a spirited Delaware team for a 12-7 win yesterday at Curley Field.

The Greyhounds (5-4) played the second half without senior attackman Kevin Beach, who is believed to have suffered a fractured rib in the closing seconds of the Johns Hopkins game.

"When [the team doctors] looked at the X-rays of Beach's back before the game, they didn't see anything [abnormal]," said Cottle. "But at halftime, they re-examined it and saw something, so we had to take him out."

Beach (Mount St. Joseph) will have a bone scan tomorrow to find out the extent of his injury and his fate for the remainder of the season.

Cottle said that Beach will probably be out for Loyola's last two regular-season games, against C.W. Post and Adelphi, but could be back in time for the NCAA tournament, which starts May 15.

"[The coaches] told the players at halftime that guys that haven't done it all year were going to have to do it today," said Cottle. "We told them that this was their season -- 30 minutes. If we don't win today, we don't go to the playoffs."

The second half opened with Beach in street clothes and the Greyhounds tied with the Blue Hens, 5-5.

After Loyola's Kevin Anderson (Loyola High) and Delaware's John Wunder (John Carroll) traded goals, the Blue Hens' Anthony DiMarzo gave Delaware a 7-6 lead with 9:55 left in the third quarter.

But that would be the last time Delaware would score as the Loyola defense shut down the Blue Hens (3-7) for the final 24:55 of the game, and Loyola's offense rattled off six straight goals.

Midway through the third period, junior attackmen Derek Radebaugh (Boys' Latin) and Pat Ervin (St. Mary's) combined for two goals in 17 seconds to give Loyola an 8-7 lead with 8:25 left in the quarter.

Four minutes later, Ervin scored a short-handed goal that put the game away for the Greyhounds.

With Delaware in its man-up offense after a Loyola penalty, Wunder hit the crossbar with a shot that would have tied the game. Loyola defenseman Matt Dwan scooped up the rebound and blindly slung the ball down to the other restraining line, where Ervin caught it and beat Delaware goalie Jamie Blalock (North Harford) to give the Greyhounds a 9-7 lead with 4:14 left in the third quarter.

"I think that was the big turning point," said Ervin. "They were a man up at the time and that's a good play to throw it deep. I just got under it like a touchdown bomb [in football]."

In the fourth quarter, three low-scoring Loyola midfielders put the game out of reach. Senior Steve Sovik scored his first goal of the year, junior Mfon Udo scored his third and freshman Mark O'Brien netted his second of the season.

"I told all the guys that thought they should be getting more playing time that this was their opportunity," said Cottle. "I thought they all played very hard."

Ervin and Sean Heffernan finished with two goals and an assist each. Radebaugh finished with a goal and two assists.

"This is a tired and beat-up lacrosse team, but they gutted this one out," said Cottle. "This game will make us a better lacrosse team down the road."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.