No. 2 Gilman recovers, catches St. Mary's, 10-7 Boys lacrosse

April 24, 1993|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff Writer

Gilman's lacrosse team arrived at Weems Whalen Field in Annapolis one hour before yesterday's game against St. Mary's "so we could get the long bus ride off our legs," coach John Tucker said.

What the Greyhounds couldn't do, at least for one quarter, was get St. Paul's off their minds.

Tucker thought his players were looking ahead to Tuesday's showdown with the No. 1 Crusaders when they fell behind 4-0. But the second-ranked Greyhounds rallied behind the scoring of Michael Allan to defeat No. 4 St. Mary's, 10-7, in a Maryland Scholastic Association Armstrong A Conference game.

Allan scored five goals and assisted on another to help bring Gilman back from its largest deficit of the season. "After the first five minutes of the game, we knew we were in for a dogfight," Tucker said.

It looked as if Gilman was in for worse than that. Jason Griswold scored off a pass from Chase Martin with 30 seconds left to reduce the Saints' lead to 4-1, but his team was outshot 8-4 and had lost five of six faceoffs when the quarter expired.

"We were getting kind of worried," said Gilman junior Mark Cornes, an honorable-mention All-Metro midfielder last season. "They like to move the ball in the crease a lot, and once we got used to their way of offense, we were able to play good defense."

And the Greyhounds were able to score goals -- in bunches.

The Saints' Kevin Reichardt took a pass near midfield, sprinted toward Gilman goalie Corey Popham and scored to increase the vTC lead to 5-1 with 6:55 left in the second quarter. But the Greyhounds (7-1, 6-1) scored the next three goals in a span of 3:32 -- the last one coming with St. Mary's a man down.

Three saves from sophomore Peter Grimm in the last two minutes kept St. Mary's ahead at halftime, but Allan scored the tying goal with 6:01 left in the third quarter, and Cornes scored on a pass from Stewart Macon less than a minute later.

Allan scored with 3:18 left, giving the Greyhounds a 7-5 lead. Grimm (10 saves), making his first start of the season, was replaced by junior Jim Brown, but St. Mary's could do no better than twice closing within one goal.

"I can't tell you how proud I am of these kids," Tucker said. "They hung in there and showed a lot of guts."

Kevin Gattie had two goals and one assist for St. Mary's (7-3, 5-3), which was coming off a 12-8 loss to No. 3 Loyola. Reichardt had one goal and two assists, and Dan Collins, Dominic Souza, Gerry Case and Dan Marohl scored once each.

St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead pointed to one statistic after the game -- his team's failure to score on six man-advantage situations.

"So far, we haven't done particularly well in that regard. We certainly had our opportunities," he said. "Except for the first quarter, we shot very poorly as a team."

The Saints were on the mark in the first 10 minutes, starting with Gattie's goal off a pass from Matt Clune, who was leveled by a defender as he released the ball.

Gattie was stopped on his next shot, but he gathered the loose ball behind the net and fed Case for a 2-0 lead with 6:24 left.

Miles Conway passed to Gattie for the Saints' third goal, and Collins scored on an assist from Reichardt to give St. Mary's a 4-0 lead with 2:35 left.

But little else went right for the Saints, as Gilman regained its legs -- and its focus -- to control play during the last three quarters.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.