Hopkins still too much for Loyola 1st game in 24 years goes to Jays, 16-11

April 22, 1993|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,Staff Writer

Loyola College's lacrosse program has become a power in the past decade, but the Greyhounds still haven't taken the final two steps to taking their program to the top: winning a national championship and beating Johns Hopkins.

No. 8 Loyola waited 24 years to try to avenge some past embarrassment against Hopkins, but the Greyhounds still fell to the No. 4 Blue Jays, 16-11, last night before nearly 3,000 at Homewood Field.

The Blue Jays won all 29 games in the series from 1939 to 1969 before the mismatched series was stopped.

Most of those scores were lopsided, but last night the Blue Jays (7-2) needed a four-goal spurt in the final six minutes of See the third quarter to pull away from Loyola (4-4).

"Loyola has been calling on us for the last seven years ever since they started climbing in the rankings," said Brian Kelly, the Blue Jays senior midfielder. "It was a bigger game for them than us, but we wanted this game badly, too. It was the Charles Street Massacre all over again. We held up our end of the bargain."

Loyola senior attackman Kevin Beach didn't think it was a massacre, but he knows a victory over Johns Hopkins is important for the Loyola program.

"I agree there are still two things missing," said Beach. "But the road to the national championship isn't always through Johns Hopkins. As far as the streak, I wasn't even born when the series ended."

Hopkins seemed on the verge of taking control in the first two minutes of the third period. Attackman Brian Piccola scored 51 seconds into the period, and Kelly scored on a hook shot with 12:59 left to put the Blue Jays ahead 9-4.

But Loyola answered with four straight goals in a minute to pull within 9-8. Beach, after stealing a pass from a Blue Jays defenseman outside the crease, scored with 10:45 remaining. Fourteen seconds later, after Loyola won the faceoff, Kevin Anderson scored after winning a loose ball outside the crease.

Anderson scored again on a low shot with 10:31 left, and teammate Pat Ervin picked up a loose ball outside the crease, and scored with 9:45 remaining.

"We've been trying to correct that problem," said Kelly. "In the last couple of games, we've gotten big leads only to let other teams back in the game. Loyola got a couple of garbage goals and they thought they could play with us."

The teams traded goals within the next three minutes before Hopkins started pulling away.

Blue Jays midfielder Milford Marchant scored on a high shot with 5:06 remaining, and with 3:39 left, attackman David Townsend scored for the Blue Jays.

Piccola scored with 36 seconds left in the period as Hopkins led, 13-9, at the end of the third period. Hopkins coach Tony Seaman then put his team in a zone defense and ordered them to slow the pace.

"I think we hustled and played hard," said Dave Cottle, Loyola's coach. "We gave a good effort, but we didn't make the plays all the time. I thought we could beat them if we could stop them, but they had a good shooting night. They're very good on their shot selection and they won a lot of faceoffs to control the ball."

Hopkins, which scored the first two goals of the game, led 7-4 at the half.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.