Annapolis girls triumph, 11-6 Broadneck boys take 2nd game Lacrosse

April 21, 1993|By Pat Overton | Pat Overton,Contributing Writer

Broadneck and Annapolis split a lacrosse doubleheader yesterday at Broadneck with the Panthers' girls winning the early game, 11-6, and the Bruins' boys taking the nightcap, 9-5.

All four teams entered the day's action ranked in The Baltimore Sun's polls. The boys' poll had Broadneck at No. 5 and Annapolis at No. 14, and the girls' teams were tied for the No. 6 ranking.

The boys' contest was tied at 3-3 at halftime.

Jason Hull had the only goal in the first quarter off a nice inbounds pass from Jeremy Ogas. Annapolis nearly tied the game late in the quarter, but a goal by Taylor Boone was disallowed for an illegal stick, a decision that upset Panthers coach Dan Hart.

"I can't believe that stick check was called," Hart said. "I don't think a good program needs something like that. But we played with a lot of character after that."

The Panthers outscored the Bruins in the second quarter 3-2 and tied the score.

But the Bruins would erupt for four goals in the third quarter. After the teams exchanged goals to start the period, Bob Hanna got two in a row with both assists going to Hull. An unassisted goal by Travis Scholtz gave Broadneck a 7-4 lead going into the final quarter.

While the Bruins' offense was putting the ball in the goal, the Bruins' defense was doing a tremendous job of keeping the ball out. Goalie Sam Peterson finished with 14 saves and profited greatly from the play of defensemen Brian Dobson, Alex Irmler and Matt Conrad.

"I think those guys are the best defense in the county," Peterson said. "They got by them to take some shots, but I stayed focused because I knew if they did score we could get it right back."

Hull was the offensive star for the Bruins with two goals and two assists. Boone played well for Annapolis, getting two goals on assists by Josh Morgan.

In the girls' game, Annapolis and Broadneck exchanged goals to start the game, but the Panthers soon got going.

Annapolis had five unanswered goals to go ahead 6-1 with five minutes left in the first half. Three-sport standout Cristi Samaras got three of her game-high six goals during the barrage.

It didn't help that the Bruins' catching and throwing skills seemed to leave them at times during the game.

"We turned the ball over way too much today," Bruins coach LeAnn Shuck said. "We just couldn't catch and throw."

Broadneck scored three of the next four goals to go into the half down 7-4. Susie Goodrich scored her second goal of the half after a penalty with no time remaining.

Samaras scored her sixth goal of the game to start the second half, but Broadneck got two straight goals from Katie Kemerer to bring the Bruins within two at 8-6.

Any hope of a comeback was doused by the Panthers as they scored the next three goals. Lauren Feinstein scored her third of the day, followed by goals from Heather Knutson and Cheryl Ragland.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.