Goalie Keenan helps St. Paul's shortchange Calvert Hall, 8-6 Boys lacrosse

April 21, 1993|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff Writer

Sean Keenan is nicknamed "Shorty" by his St. Paul's lacrosse teammates, but he's long on heart and intensity.

And in yesterday's 8-6 non-divisional Maryland Scholastic Association Armstrong Conference, A League victory at No. 11 Calvert Hall, the junior goalkeeper turned in a giant-sized effort.

Using every inch of his lacrosse stick and his 5-foot-7, 145-pound body, Keenan blocked 15 of 32 Cardinals shots as the two-time defending MSA A champion Crusaders (8-0) won their 29th straight game.

Calvert Hall (4-5), of Division II, was coming off a 13-12 overtime victory over No. 13 Severn. Senior attackman Augie Black returned for a goal with two assists despite playing his first full game with a cast on an injured right thumb.

The Crusaders entered the game with 85 goals, led by All-Metro attackman Michael Watson (19 goals, 14 assists), Tucker Radebaugh (13, 24), John Solter (seven, 10), Jamie Pollock (15, two), Ben Strutt (nine, five) and Billy Ruhl (seven, four), but coach Mitch Whiteley said his team was "still dragging" after beating No. 6 Boys' Latin, 6-5, in overtime Monday.

The Cardinals overcame a 5-3 second-quarter deficit for a 6-5 lead as Tim Kearney took passes from Ryan Lachowicz and Black for two of his three goals and Pete Hilgartner scored the other goal.

Just 41 seconds before halftime,however, Ruhl tied the game at 6 on a dish from Watson.

From then on, the Cardinals were shut out by Keenan and defenders Pat Doyle, Mac McCulloch and Ryan Grimes.

"I think we showed a lot of talent and heart today," said coach Mike Thomas, whose Cardinals led 32-26 in shots on goal. "We're a young team and we're only going to get better, that's my view."

Keenan had nine saves in the third quarter when the Division I-leading Crusaders were outshot 12-1. Four of those stops were on point-blank shots during two straight man-down situations.

Strutt gave the Crusaders the lead in the third period and Radebaugh added a goal in the fourth.

Kearney put the Cardinals ahead 1-0 with his 10th goal of the season at 9:08 of the first period.

St. Paul's led 3-1 entering the second period after scores from Watson, Strutt and Solter, whose shot got past keeper Mickey Jarboe (11 saves) with 1:27 left in the quarter.

Just 54 seconds into the second period, however, Black's man-up goal made it 3-2 off a feed from Hilgartner. Black then assisted a fast-break goal by Jason George, tying the game at 3.

Nearly two minutes later, however, Radebaugh had brought St. Paul's back for a 5-3 lead, assisting on a goal by Pollock and scoring the first of his two goals.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.