Gilman solves St. Joe Boys lacrosse

April 21, 1993|By John Coffren | John Coffren,Contributing Writer

Visiting Mount St. Joseph gave No. 2 Gilman a scare yesterday on the lacrosse field.

The Gaels (6-2, 2-2) scored two unanswered goals and held Gilman (6-1, 5-1) scoreless for two quarters until the Greyhounds registered three goals per period in the second half for a 6-3 final in a Maryland Scholastic Association Armstrong Conference A League game.

Gilman still trails Division I leader St. Paul's (6-0, 5-0) by a game. The Greyhounds' only loss this season came in their season-opener to two-time champion St. Paul's in an 8-7 double-overtime mud bath.

Mount St. Joseph played beyond its talent in the first half, thanks to a strong defense anchored by senior goalie Sean Gaiser. Gaiser made 17 first-half saves and finished with 26. Tough stick work by the soft zone core of sophomore midfielder Josh Vicchio, freshman Mark LaChapelle and defenseman Brian Kelly frustrated the Greyhounds' efforts.

"Sean is the best goalie in the area and I think he showed that today," said Mount St. Joseph head coach Drew Bowden.

Gilman coach John Tucker said, "It took us three quarters to figure out the goalkeeper. I'm glad he's graduating."

While Gilman spent the first half perplexed by Gaiser, the Gaels went on the attack. Metro area scoring leader and senior attack Maury LaPointe (12 goals, 25 assists) used a right-to-left touch pass to junior attack Dylan Schrott, who gave Mount St. Joseph a 1-0 lead with 5:19 left in the first quarter.

LaPointe would open up the scoring in the second half on a strong-side wrist shot, assisted by sophomore midfielder Jason Newman, for a 2-0 advantage.

Gilman took 22 shots in the first half and it wasn't until shot number 26 in the second that it found the net. A fast-breaking Greyhounds attack caught the Mount St. Joseph defense off guard and junior midfielder Mark Cornes scored on a one-hop shot 24 seconds after LaPointe's goal for a 2-1 score.

Gilman won its third faceoff and Cornes tied the score at 2 with 5:24 left in the third. Junior midfielder Todd Robbin gave Gilman a 3-2 advantage with 2:58 left. Schrott added his second goal at 2:17 for a 3-3 tie.

Gilman added three goals in the final five minutes. Junior midfielder Mike Allan had a hand in all of them, scoring twice and assisting on the other.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.