Loyola's late spree foils St. Mary's game, 12-8 Boys lacrosse

April 21, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Seventeen seconds sometimes can feel like an eternity in a boys lacrosse game, especially when the teams involved are jockeying for position in the Maryland Scholastic Association Armstrong Conference, A League standings.

For No. 4 St. Mary's, it was a 17-second span that began in the waning seconds of the third quarter before ending abruptly in the opening moments of the fourth quarter that spelled disaster for the Saints. No. 3 Loyola blew the game open with three rapid goals and then hung on to win, 12-8, yesterday at Weems Whalen Field in Annapolis.

Leading St. Mary's 7-6 with under a minute left in the third quarter, the Dons took a two-goal lead with nine seconds left in the period when junior attackman Keith Euker scored on a feed from senior Bill Evans.

Six seconds later, the Dons added another goal when sophomore midfielder Scott Diggs won the faceoff and sprinted to the hole before feeding senior attackman John Cusson, giving Loyola a 9-6 advantage heading into the last quarter.

The Dons (8-2, 4-2) took over in the fourth quarter where they had left off by wasting no time finding the net. The final period was only eight seconds old when Cusson fed junior attackman Jeff Huber to increase the margin to four, 10-6.

"I have to give credit to Coach [Joe] McFadden because he really gets us pumped up for St. Mary's," said Mike Keeney, who finished with two goals and three assists. "Our attack was on, our middies were on, we were winning the faceoffs and we did everything right."

Diggs handled the faceoff duties for Loyola and won 16 of 21. Othe occasions when Diggs couldn't control the faceoff, Loyola defenders Dave Daniecki and Carl Zeller were there to disarm the Saints' attack.

"Scott Diggs did some outstanding faceoff work for us, but the key today was that some of our experienced guys that really have to set the tone for the inexperienced guys, stepped up and really played smart ball," Loyola coach Joe McFadden said in reference to veterans Evans, Cusson and Keeney. "All year long, each of them has been giving us great efforts. . ."

The Saints (7-2, 5-2) were led by junior attackman Matt Clun (two goals, three assists) and sophomore attackman Dan Collins (two goals).

"Our team defense was atrocious and we didn't face off well," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead. "Give Loyola some of the credit, but I'm not giving them all the credit. I think we broke down horribly today and I'm very frustrated. We just didn't make them work for their goals.

"Loyola certainly scored when they had the chances, but we just played poor defensively as a team. We did some nice individual things on defense and I think we showed we could score when we had the ball. I'll take the blame for the way we played defensively because I obviously didn't prepare them properly."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.