Alfonzo's 2-run shot wins it for Baysox Home run in 12th beats London, 6-5

April 19, 1993|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff Writer

Manager Don Buford kept waiting for someone to come through with a clutch hit yesterday.


He waited into the late innings, when the Bowie Baysox twice were on the brink of defeat. The wait was worth it.

T. R. Lewis singled in the tying run with one out in the ninth inning, and Edgar Alfonzo hit a two-run homer in the 12th to lead the Baysox past the London Tigers, 6-5, before 3,125 at Memorial Stadium.

"As a club, we've hung in there in a couple of ballgames and I think the players feel pretty good about the ability of each guy to produce," Buford said.

The Baysox (6-3) put at least one runner on base in all but two innings. It almost wasn't enough.

London had gone ahead 5-4 in the top of the 12th, but Bowie shortstop Tim Holland singled with one out and Alfonzo got around on an inside fastball and deposited it into the empty bleachers in left.

"I was looking to hit a home run. I had gone 0-for-6 and been in a rut all day," Alfonzo said.

So had the Baysox. They stranded 13 runners and nearly wasted an outstanding effort from the bullpen, which threw seven scoreless innings before London broke through against right-hander Brian Wood in the 12th.

"They've given us the additional help we've needed and really protected the young guys," Buford said.

One of the Baysox's young stars, Jeffrey Hammonds, reached base five times after sitting out Saturday night's game with the flu. He walked and later scored the tying run in the ninth after Lewis battled back from an 0-2 count and singled to left.

"I hope he gets the flu again tomorrow," Buford said, laughing.

Both starting pitchers struggled with control in the first inning. Bowie's Kevin Ryan walked the first two batters and threw a wild pitch, and London center fielder Danny Bautista made him pay by lining a two-run single up the middle.

Ryan got through the inning without further damage. Lewis gloved a sharp grounder behind first and beat London's Mike Rendina to the bag, and he made another nice pickup in the hole and threw to Ryan covering for the last out.

London starter Ken Carlyle, who took a no-hitter into the eighth inning of his last start against Reading, wasn't any sharper.

The difference was that Carlyle's defense didn't bail him out.

He walked leadoff hitter Brad Tyler and balked him to second, and Jim Wawruck followed with a run-scoring double.

Carlyle walked Hammonds on four pitches, then watched his infield commit two errors. Shortstop Jim Givens booted Stanton Cameron's double-play grounder to load the bases, and third baseman Jimmy Alder bobbled a grounder by Lewis and looked home before throwing late to first base.

After Kyle Washington flied out to shallow center, Holland brought home the go-ahead run with a slow roller to third.

Ryan allowed five hits and walked four, and was charged with three earned runs. He had gone six innings in the first game of a doubleheader against Binghamton on April 13th, losing, 3-1.

"I think his biggest problem today was nervousness," Buford said. "This is his first time pitching here in the stadium, and he might have been a little nervous."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.