No. 2 Reds can't match No. 1 Vikes Roland Park falls to Hebron, 11-6 Girls lacrosse

April 18, 1993|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Staff Writer

All No. 2 Roland Park wanted was a chance to play for the No. 1 spot in girls lacrosse.

Yesterday, they got it, but the Reds (7-1) won't be moving up. They could not unseat No. 1 Mount Hebron, which ended the Reds' 25-game winning streak with an 11-6 victory in the championship of the Roland Park North-South Invitational Tournament.

"Now that we've lost to them, we know they're justified to be in first. We don't feel we should be there," said Reds center Peggy Boutilier. "All last year, we wanted to be in second but we didn't get to play them. Now that we've gone head to head, it's justified."

The biggest problem for the Reds was adjusting to the different style played by Mount Hebron (6-0). The Vikings rely on running the ball down and setting the offense from behind the crease, while the Reds play a more open passing game.

"Their style of play is so different from anything we ever face and it took us out of our game a little," said Roland Park coach Wendy Kridel, whose squad took a 19-4 victory over Downingtown, the Pennsylvania state runner-up, in the tournament semifinal.

On attack, the Vikings also use almost everybody inside 12 meters, forcing almost all of the Reds down there, too. When the Reds got the ball and looked to the midfield, there was no one to connect with.

"When we got the ball, we had to run all the way down the field," said Boutilier. "We like passing through midfield."

The Reds also like to get a lot of their offense off the draw and off transition, but Mount Hebron allowed them neither for most of the first half.

The Vikings took an early lead on Lori Pasquantonio's free-position shot. Then the Reds had two good chances to tie but couldn't convert on either.

Boutilier took a nice shot on Vikings keeper Ali True, but True came up with the save. Megahn Hallahan threatened on the next possession, but was called for an illegal cradle, holding the crosse too tight into her body, and turned the ball over.

The Vikings capitalized quickly. Off the set offense, Cathy Nelson made a nice roll past Reds defense wing Whitney Fenwick to find Lynette Chastant open in front of the goal.

Fenwick, however, made up for it by scoring the Reds' first goal on a free position two minutes later.

Despite some good individual plays, the Reds' defense let too many Vikings get behind them and it cost them. The Vikings took a 4-1 lead on back-to-back goals by Dani Vissers and Chastant with 15:06 left in the half.

Roland Park cut the lead to one with 9:18 left. Brent McCallister picked up a ground ball and ducked through traffic to shoot. Melissa Cully ran off the next draw and found Lizzie Bennett open on the crease for another goal.

With a little more than a minute left, the Reds hoped to go into halftime tied or just a goal down. Instead, Mount Hebron delivered what probably was the knockout punch.

Stacia Hepburn scored an unassisted goal with 1:07 left. Then, the Vikings controlled the draws to score twice in the final 24 seconds for a 7-3 lead.

The hero of the second half was Vikings keeper True, who had eight of her 13 saves. True upset a couple of good Reds opportunities, including a couple of point-blank attempts from McCallister.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.