Hopkins goes on the attack to beat Maryland, 19-11 Loss dims Terps' hopes for NCAA playoffs

April 17, 1993|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,Staff Writer

COLLEGE PARK -- Maryland's chances of making the 12-team NCAA Division I lacrosse playoffs were severely hurt last night, as the No. 9 Terps lost to fourth-ranked Johns Hopkins, 19-11, before a crowd of

3,850 at Byrd Stadium.

Johns Hopkins (6-2) jumped out to a 6-0 advantage in the first period.

Maryland tied the score at 10 with 6:39 left in the third period, but the Blue Jays scored five consecutive goals in the next 13 minutes to pull away for good.

The Terps (2-4) still have to play in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament next weekend, and also face Towson State, Virginia Military Institute and UMBC. The Terps did not win a game in the ACC this year, and are seeded last in the four-team conference. Maryland will meet Virginia in the opening round.

"Despite what has been written, we're not buried yet," said Maryland coach Dick Edell. "We still have a shot at the ACC title, and if we pay attention to what has been written, we wouldn't need to practice. Right? I'm looking forward to the tournament."

Knocking the Terps out of the playoff picture was one of the main topics in the Johns Hopkins' locker room this past week. The Blue Jays also talked about how they have lost to Maryland the past two years.

"This is a big win for us, huge," said Terry Riordan, a Blue Jays attackman. "I can't see them getting into the tournament unless they win every one of their games, including the ACC tournament. But then again, you never know.

"We wanted this game badly because the seniors have not beaten this team since they were freshmen. When it got to 10-10, that's when we decided to turn it up a notch."

It was Riordan and fellow attackman Brian Piccola, the Blue Jays' clutch players, who took control of the game after Maryland came back to tie it in the third period.

Piccola put the Blue Jays ahead, 11-10, with 5:43 left in the period. Riordan then beat Dan Radebaugh for a goal to the left of the crease. Riordan later tossed an assist to Brian Kelly with 2:06 remaining to put the Blue Jays ahead 13-10.

Riordan and Piccola continued the assault in the fourth period. Riordan, assisted by Piccola, scored with 13:11 remaining in the game and Piccola scored with 8:58 to push the Johns Hopkins lead to 15-10.

"The comeback we made after the 6-0 lead was remarkable, and we did a lot of things right to tie the score in the third period," said Edell. "But we lost our No.1 faceoff man to an injury in the second period, and if you keep giving them possessions, they're going to score [Johns Hopkins had a 21-14 edge in faceoffs]."

Maryland played well in the first quarter, but Hopkins was better.

Blue Jays attackman David Townsend scored with 10:15 left in the first period, and junior midfielder Matt Jackson scored with 9:27 left.

Riordan scored an extra-man goal nearly two minutes later. Sophomore midfielder Peter Jacobs added a goal with 4:58 left, and junior midfielder Casey Gordon scored the Blue Jays' next two goals to make it 6-0.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.