Man arrested in bail bondsman's death

April 17, 1993|By Roger Twigg | Roger Twigg,Staff Writer

Federal marshals and New York City police raided a Manhattan hotel yesterday and arrested a 20-year-old man charged with the shooting deaths of Baltimore bail bondsman Angelo Garrison Sr. and his 3-year-old son, city police reported.

The suspect, Levon Stokes, was arrested without incident just before 8:30 a.m. at a hotel in the 100 block of W. 112th St.

Mr. Stokes was arrested on a fugitive warrant and will probably be returned to Baltimore in about 10 days -- after he receives an extradition hearing, said Sam Ringgold, a city police spokesman.

Mr. Stokes is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and a handgun violation in connection with the April 8 slayings of Mr. Garrison and his son, Angelo Jr. Mr. Garrison was awaiting trial on drug charges and had been listed as a possible witness in an ongoing federaldrug trial, but police have been told the slaying may have stemmed from a love triangle.

Information on Mr. Stokes' whereabouts was received Thursday

by a U.S. Marshals' Fugitive Task Force that includes members of the Baltimore and Maryland State Police.

Police said no other suspects are being sought in connection with the killings, which occurred outside Mr. Garrison's bail bond company in the 300 block of Park Ave.

Mr. Garrison was shot twice in the head by a gunman who ambushed him as he got out of his car. The victim's son was shot between the eyes while sitting in the car, a late-model Volvo.

Whether the boy was intentionally shot remains unclear; some witnesses have told police that the gunman took aim at the boy. Another infant in the back seat was not injured, nor was the children's mother, who was standing outside the car.

Mr. Garrison was on probation for a 1990 felony drug conviction. Hewas scheduled to stand trial May 5 in Baltimore Circuit Court on charges that he sold 2 grams of heroin to a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agent Dec. 18, 1989.

Mr. Garrison also was indicted last month on charges of selling unspecified quantities of heroin and cocaine to the same DEA agent on Dec. 12, 1989, according to court records. A warrant issued in connection with that indictment apparently had not been served.

Mr. Garrison's name had been placed on the witness list in the current narcotics trial of Lamont "Mont" Allen and four co-defendants in U.S. District Court in Baltimore.

It appeared unlikely, however, that Mr. Garrison was going to be called to testify.

Aside from the possibility that narcotics may have had a role in Mr. Garrison's slaying, homicide detectives are looking into his business dealings and a recent domestic dispute.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.