Loyola rolls past UMBC, 21-8 13 Greyhounds get goals in romp

April 16, 1993|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,Staff Writer

No. 7 Loyola College continued its lacrosse dominance over UMBC last night scoring 12 first half goals and crusing to a 21-8 victory at UMBC Stadium.

The loss was one of the worst in the past 10 years of 24-year-old series. UMBC (5-4) still holds a 14-10 edge, but Loyola (4-3) has won nine of the past 10, the previous four Greyhounds victories by margins of 8, 15, 11 and 15 goals.

Twelve players scored for Loyola last night, four for the first time this season.

"At this point, we're certainly going to keep playing the series," said Charles Brown, UMBC's athletic director. "I think we want to play nationally ranked teams."

"We've had a tough year injury-wise, and we haven't played well against Loyola, but we've played well against some other nationally ranked teams," said Brown. "If we don't play these type of teams, we can't get where we want to be."

The game came after a wake-up call for Loyola last Friday when the Greyhounds lost to Hofstra, 13-12.

The win comes six days before Loyola has to play Johns Hopkins at Homewood Field. The Blue Jays hold a 29-0 advantage in that series.

"We play better teams and I think we were more ready because of our schedule," said Loyola coach Dave Cottle. "We knew they had a lot of injuries and were undermanned.

"But if you look at the series, they still have an edge," said Cottle. "There were years that they clubed us, and now it has turned a little bit. A series can work that way where one team dominates, then the other and it goes back and forth.

Loyola scored 43 seconds into the game, and led 5-1 after one period. The Greyhounds scored three straight goals in the first two minutes of the second quarter, and had a 10-1 lead with 6:03 left in the half.

UMBC scored its second goal of the game with 3:33 left in the second quarter, after going nearly 26 minutes without a goal.

Loyola outshot UMBC, 15-5, in the first period and won all but two faceoffs. Attackman Kevin Beach scored the games first goal, and after UMBC scored nearly a minute later, Loyola went on a tear in which the Greyhounds showed their superior speed and stickwork.

Greyhounds midfielder Pat Ervin scored off a pick at the top of the crease with 9:59 left in the first period, and then fellow attackman Derek Radebaugh scooped up a loose ball, and then shot behind the back for a goal 1:15 seconds later.

Beach flicked a shot past goalie Steve Gorski with 6:40 left to push Loyola's lead to 4-1, and teammate Sean Heffernan finished the scoring in the quarter with 3:59 remaining.

Loyola turned the game into a rout in the opening two minutes of the second period, with goals from Andy Martin, Beach and Brandan Fry.

"After Hofstra, I think we have learned that if you pratice hard all week, you have a better chance of winning," said Beach. "You just can't show up."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.